center unit suppose to get hot ? and are ngk or champion spark plugs for 90hp 1986

johnson426

Seaman
heys guys I really appericate all the help on here..im new on the boats but im learing. I just bought a 1986 90hp johnson 2 stoke and I was wondering if it was ok since the center is getting hot. Its right below the power head where exhaust comes out sometimes. I was told there was only shaft going down thru it, but it doesnt make sense to be getting hot since powerhead and the lower unit is nice and cool. Also im currently running ngk spark plugs but someone mentioned it burns pistons. Should I keep the plugs I have or switch to champions ? If anyone can help that would be great! thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: center unit suppose to get hot ? and are ngk or champion spark plugs for 90hp 198

Th currently recommended plugs are Champion QL77JC4 or QL82C, gapped at 0.030"

The "Q" indicates that these are inductively suppressed. Which is recommended for use with VRO and OMS systems. Resistively suppressed plugs should not be used with OMC CDI ignition systems

You do not say what NGK plugs you are using but the nearest equivalents to the above are BZ7HS-10. The "Z" indicates inductive suppression. Do not use the more common resistor plugs denoted by a "R". Some say NGK plugs run hotter than the quoted Champion equivalents. Lower numbers are hotter on the NGK scale so avoid going to an NGK grade 6 plug or hotter.

Cannot comment on the temperature issue.
Not sure what part you are referring to. See diagram HERE

johnson426

Seaman
Re: center unit suppose to get hot ? and are ngk or champion spark plugs for 90hp 198

okk im running ngks but i will switch to champions...I was refering to #16 area where the shaft goes thru and some of the exhaust comes thru when its running in the water.

johnson426

Seaman

Its the seahorse model..if that helps anyways spark plug wise..thanks for all the help!

D

DJ

The area you describe is the exhaust. Yes, it get's hot.

Yes, stick with Champ's.

Hey, I wouldn't run Champ's in anything but a lawn mower or a J/E outboard. But, in a J/E outboard, they do make a difference. Go figure.

johnson426

Seaman

ok great thanks for the help i appericate it!