Volvo 280 steering pulling to left HARD

MI_Thumb_2010

Seaman Apprentice
Hello this is my first post,thanks ahead of time for the help and for this great site.

I have a older Thompson 20' (1976)with ford 302 engine and volvo 280 outdrive.The boat pulls to the left pretty hard all the time except when trolling.I checked over the steering cable and every fitting has been greased since i owned the boat (2 yrs).Adjusted the fin by the exhaust but didnt help...maybe i went in the wrong direction with that not sure.Any other ideas what the problem could be??

Would also like to know what type of prop i could put on this.Would like to buy a stainless but not sure what to get.Current prop only says michigan wheel on it.And its pretty large.

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo 280 steering pulling to left HARD

I have a 280 drive on my Bayliner 1950 cuddy and I had to adjust the tab about 45 deg to port ( looking stright down on the tab from the rear " / " ). It pulled a little to the left when I bought it last week and I tried it at center and had to have a death grip on the wheel. Glad I brought the 6mm allen with me. I know it varies from boat to boat but that is what I ran into with mine and I have never had to adjust a tab that far before but this is my first Volvo and I like it so far.

MI_Thumb_2010

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks crazyinkc,that helped a little ,but either i need to turn it all the way or something else is wrong.I'll give it a shot and repost.

Still lookin for information on what prop to buy,if anyone could help me out i'd appreciate it.

captmello

Captain

Still lookin for information on what prop to buy,if anyone could help me out i'd appreciate it.

The prop you buy depends on the performance of your specific boat. Some props are stamped with the size, some not. Perhaps you could take it to a prop shop and they could measure it for you. If the boat has been performing properly, reaching the proper WOT RPM with the current prop, than you can stick with that same size.