bent shaft?

jokaj

Seaman
I was spinning my prop today and noticed a slight wobble. I measured from the cavitation plate to the blade and there is a difference of 1/8 " between opposite blades (4 blade prop). That would possibly mean the shaft is bent 1/16"? Am I being too picky or is it within specs? The prop is new and I see the difference on my other prop. If I run it will I be looking at problems? Thanks for any insight!:(

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: bent shaft?

I was spinning my prop today and noticed a slight wobble. I measured from the cavitation plate to the blade and there is a difference of 1/8 " between opposite blades (4 blade prop). That would possibly mean the shaft is bent 1/16"? Am I being too picky or is it within specs? The prop is new and I see the difference on my other prop. If I run it will I be looking at problems? Thanks for any insight!:(

Don't know your engine but, for example, on most Merc the shop manual state to change the prop shaft if there's more than 0.006' of runout at the theaded end!

jokaj

Seaman

That doesn't bode well for me does it......

Don't know your engine but, for example, on most Merc the shop manual state to change the prop shaft if there's more than 0.006' of runout at the theaded end!

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I would take the prop off and check to a smooth place on the shaft.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't just assume the shaft is bad, check it!! The ideal way is with a dial indicator. If you don't feel like paying somebody to do that (the servant is worthy of his hire), at least rig up some sort of indicator close to the shaft to be able to detect any wobble.

jokaj

Seaman

Thanks, i am looking at hooking up a laser pointer perpedicular to the shaft hole to see if it moves. Looks like there is a lot of optical illusion. If I can't get that to work, i will take it to my dealer and have him check it out.....

Don't just assume the shaft is bad, check it!! The ideal way is with a dial indicator. If you don't feel like paying somebody to do that (the servant is worthy of his hire), at least rig up some sort of indicator close to the shaft to be able to detect any wobble.