Lots of smoke!

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1990 50hp force. I put in a new impeller ( thanks tothe directions at the top) fired it up today and plenty of water coming out. motor stayed fairly cool to the touch but there was a lot of exuast smoke. I have not decarbed yet, but is this normal? Its running in a barrel filled about half way up the leg, not muffs.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Lots of smoke!

If the motor is running OK, no missing or stalling issues, it's pretty much normal. Mine smokes a lot in a tub of water in my driveway too. When I'm out on the lake, it hardly smokes at all.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, thats what I was thinking. I just didnt remeber it smoking that much in the tub last year but who knows it was year ago. I ended up doing a decrab later today and WOW that was a lot of smoke! Seems to run a bit better now. Hope to put it in the water this week or next weekend to give it a good test.

john from md

Commander

If you have never decarbed an engine before, do it at least twice and let the seafoam sit for a day or two on the second try. Then take it out and run it around the lake at full bore for a while. This will blow all the loose carbon out the exhaust.

John

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks John, I will do another Decarb this week in hopes to be on the lake this weekend.