1995 Johnson Ocean Runner 150 hp fuel problems

bf2313

Cadet
Hey guys, I'm having a fuel issue with my 1995 Johnson Ocean Runner 150 hp. The problem happens at full throttle. An engine misfire and fuel smell is evident. After pulling the cover and air box off, I noticed fuel was pouring out of the top left carburetor while running at full throttle out on the water. There is what looks like a vacuum hose coming from the fuel pump area connected to that carburetor. Since that carburetor is the only one of the six that is leaking fuel, and is the only one that has a vacuum hose attached to it, I disconnected it. Wow, took care of that problem, no more fuel leak, no more misfire, runs like a new engine at full throttle. ??? What is that hose that I disconnected, and what is it used for? Also, after coming in and having to idle at the dock, I now created new problems; stalling, hard to start, idles rough, and a low-engine bog. Obviously, disconnecting the hose seemed to fix one problem and created others. I would appreciate any help available. :confused:

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1995 Johnson Ocean Runner 150 hp fuel problems

I would suspect the float in that carb not sealing or getting hung up.
And reconnect the hose whatever it is, might be the choke fuel hose.

bf2313

Cadet

Thank you for your response. I too suspected a needle/seat float problem. So, I swapped the carburetor out with another one that's on my motor and now that carburetor is dumping fuel profusely with the hose hooked up to it. The carburetor that was dumping fuel before is now working properly, that's how I was able to rule out a needle/seat problem. I then lengthened the hose and ran it to yet a different carburetor and that carburetor started to dump fuel profusely. I believe my problem is with that hose. I need to know what it is, and what it's used for.

jonesg

Admiral

Darn ,my shop manual is at home,

follow the hose and see where it goes, if it terminates at the choke solenoid the choke is leaking.
The choke is a black cylinder with a red lever, the seals develop a leak.
Make sure the lever lays along the body of the choke barrel.
If it is turned 90 degs it will flood the engine.

bf2313

Cadet

I see that choke assembly with the two little hoses coming off of it, one hose leads to one intake and the other leads to the other intake. Neither one of them lead to the carburetor. The hose that does come from that carburetor has one end connecting to the carburetor and the other end going to what looks to be a diaphragm above the fuel pump.

jonesg

Admiral

Vapor seperator?
Hopefully it is rebuildable.!
You ought to order the factory service manual.
www.outboardbooks.com
Best $50 you can spend on a boat.:)

bf2313

Cadet

Thanks, jonesg, but I'd like to take that $50. and use it to buy parts if possible. Does anyone have any other ideas of what the problem might be?

jonesg

Admiral

That hose might be the one that is supposed to plug into the airbox, not the carb. But if you had the manual you'd know already.:D

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

That hose might be the one that is supposed to plug into the airbox, not the carb. But if you had the manual you'd know already.:D

This makes sense, I just looked at my motor and there is no hose hooked to the carburetor. The hose that goes into the airbox has a tee in it though. One hose goes to a fitting on the top of the vapor separator and the other goes to a fitting on the block just under the flywheel.
P6070001.jpg

bf2313

Cadet

Thanks for responding, ryoung. My setup is just like yours except for the one end of the hose going into the air box. On mine, instead of it connecting to the air box, it was connected to the brass fitting on the carburetor, shown in your photo. Was mine hooked up incorrectly?

w2much

Lieutenant

Yours was hooked up incorrectly. That hose goes to the airbox. The brass fitting stays open with nothing attached. Saved ya parts money, now you can buy the manual. If you have the motor you need the manual.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

As w2much said, yours is hooked up incorrectly. The loose hose just goes into a rubber grommet on the airbox. The OEM manual is a must have item if you want to do any of your own work, but in all honesty, my OEM manual doesn't show this hose routing. That's what iboats is here for:). Welcome aboard and good luck.

jonesg

Admiral

As w2much said, yours is hooked up incorrectly. The loose hose just goes into a rubber grommet on the airbox. The OEM manual is a must have item if you want to do any of your own work, but in all honesty, my OEM manual doesn't show this hose routing. That's what iboats is here for:). Welcome aboard and good luck.

It does...kinda,
you have to really read the manual and connect the dots a bit because the info is scattered in different sections.

page 4-29 photo of engine shows the hose loose end with airbox removed, that implies it goes to the airbox or something that is not in the photo.

Page 2-42 is a fuel hose routing diagram, it clearly shows the airbox in the hose route.

The brass fitting on the carb is a metered air inlet for idle when butterfly is fully closed.

bf2313

Cadet

ryoung, you hit the nail right on the head! Problem solved, you're awesome! Thanks a million!:cool:

gotmeaboat

Cadet

i can't believe this post! i HAD the same problem, hooked up like the pic showed, can't wait to go to the lake to test.
would this affect Quickstart and idling?
tom

kitebuz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was reading this thread b/c I am trying to trouble shoot an issue on my evinrude 120's. Turns out I actually have the Seloc manual for this motor (bought it when I thought I was repowering to 200's). It's brand new, still in the wrapper. i'd take $25 for it, plus $5 to ship priority mail. Let me know if you would like it - it's this one:

JOHNSONEVINRUDE65JET300SELOC.jpg

jonesg

Admiral

Seloc and clymer are a waste of good money.
My factory manual is 300+ pages dedicated to one year and one engine only.
Seloc covers way too many models and years.
You aren't doing anyone a favor selling them that book.
I gave mine away.

kitebuz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess I will have to respectively disagree with you on that one. I have both factory and Seloc manuals for my '89 120's, and can't say which one I reference more. It's nice having both. I can see the factory manual being your only one if you have a lot of experience, but I find the Seloc is very good at explaining some of the procedures the factory manual really doesn't cover well.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

It does...kinda,
you have to really read the manual and connect the dots a bit because the info is scattered in different sections.

page 4-29 photo of engine shows the hose loose end with airbox removed, that implies it goes to the airbox or something that is not in the photo.

Page 2-42 is a fuel hose routing diagram, it clearly shows the airbox in the hose route.

The brass fitting on the carb is a metered air inlet for idle when butterfly is fully closed.

I don't know jonesg, the photo and routing diagram still seem incomplete to me. The diagram on 2-42 shows a single line from the vapor pump to the airbox, it doesn't show the hose teeing off and going to the fitting on the block. Same for the photo on 4-29, there is no tee on the hose sticking up from the vapor pump and it doesn't show the other hose coming from the block and the short piece that goes into the airbox. Do you know what that fitting on the block in my picture is for?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

And I will respectfully disagree with your disagreement :)

If you have the factory manual you can fix anything wrong with your motor. If you have the seloc manual you will end up asking everyone here for information thats in the OEM manual.

Skip the Seloc.

Ryoung - Jonesy is correct I have two of the exact same engines 1995 -150's There are no hoses connected to the carbs.