Eska & Tananka, what the ?

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Tananka & a Eska sitting in the trunk of my car. He wants $50.00 for both. I said if I can?t them running he might get them back, I haven?t paid ?..

I plan is to get these running as for little as possible, sell them off as vintage four cycle motors and buy a Johnnyrude

Anyone know what parts it takes to rebuild the electronic ignition on one of these?

The Tanaka is missing the fuel bowl on the bottom of the shut off

All advice is welcomed

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Eska & Tananka, what the ?

Damm, this fellow at work cleared a space in his home shop so he could get his drag truck ready for the spring 1/4 mile.

Asked me if I wanted them both for $50, told me he didn't know what they were, he brought them to work today, I loaded them in my trunk and shut the lid after I found out the names.

I guess I had better do some research before I go to much further.

I told him he might be getting them back, I didn't expect so soon.....

M

mrcrabs

well there not vintage but could very well be worth a bunch sold as is on ebay if they run or even more parted out, 50$ sound like a good price to me, I say buy'um and make some money.... now its past my bed time...good night:)

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

[QUOTEI plan is to get these running as for little as possible, sell them off as vintage four cycle motors and buy a Johnnyrude.QUOTE]

Frankly if you are that unschooled on internal combustion engine theory and practice the odds of you being able to rehab them ranges between slim and none. Sorry to be so brutal but truth is often unkind. A visit to your local library to get some books on IC engine theory would pay huge dividends!

<Anyone know what parts it takes to rebuild the electronic ignition on one of these?>

Yes indeed----the very ones that are no longer available!

<The Tanaka is missing the fuel bowl on the bottom of the shut off>

That is the only part that the US Tanaka distributor can no longer supply but they DO have the complete fuel petcock assembly---as of a few years ago at any rate.

<All advice is welcomed>

Somehow I suspect that my comments will be something less than welcomed!
But they are the truth as I know it in all instances. Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buzz face the wind, unzip your fly and relieve yourself,

Keep your opinion where it?s wanted?

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buzz face the wind, unzip your fly and relieve yourself,

Keep your opinion where it?s wanted?

CATransplant

Admiral

Uh, you said that all advice was welcome. He was just commenting on your not knowing the difference between a 2 and 4 stroke engine. No valves on either of those outboards. They're 2-strokes. His advice to learn more about internal combustion engines was correct. Perhaps a little abrupt, but correct.

In any case, what he told you about the parts is true. The solid state ignition components for the Eska are NLA and if you can find them, they'll cost more than the outboard is worth. On the Tanaka, the bowl is also NLA. Ebay is your only hope.

If you were hoping to get these running at little or no cost, you're outa luck. Give them back to the guy.

M

mrcrabs

EDIT

Frankly if you are that unschooled on internal combustion engine theory and practice the odds of you being able to rehab them ranges between slim and none
Tom, I once was young and so were you, did you know there were 2 cycle engines with with valve's like a 4 cycle? I didn't tell a few days ago... kind of like multi ratio 2cycle oil I really don't understand yet...but I will if someone teaches me:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

<Tom, I once was young and so were you,>

But that was a loooooong time ago for me!;)

<---did you know there were 2 cycle engines with with valve's like a 4 cycle? I didn't tell a few days ago...>

Actually I did, but I was blessed (or cursed!:eek:) with an insatiable curiosity.
The very 1st internal combustion device I ever owned was an ancient Johnson outboard when I was 8-9 years old (in retrospect quite probably one of the first models Johnson ever built) given to me by an Uncle who wanted to feed my fascination with the boating which he loved. Like most kids I tore it apart and never got it back together, but it inspired me to research IC engines. By the time I was 13 I was able to turn two 5 gallon buckets full of rainwater and engine parts into a running (sometimes!;)) 2 cycle motorcycle during summer school vacation.

<----kind of like multi ratio 2cycle oil I really don't understand yet...but I will if someone teaches me>

Now you bid fair to get me launched onto one of my spirited diatribes about 'snake-oil salesmen'! Never---and I do mean NEVER---buy the hype that some new 'magic' lubricant can adequately replace the fuel/oil ratio recommended by the engineer who designed an engine!!!!! The man---or men---who design an IC engine know better than anyone what will be required to PROPERLY lubricate their design and keep it running into a graceful old age. Oil is one thing but the basic metallurgy of an engine and bearings is a totally different matter!
Example: Johnson/Evinrude brought out the 3 horse twin in the very early '50s of the past century. It had plain bronze sleeve bearings in all places where a bearing was required. The recommended fuel/oil mix was 16/1. But Mercury started advertising "Fully Jewelled" (meaning ball, roller or needle bearings) engines shortly thereafter that would run well into old age with much leaner oil proportions. Since they soon took a big bite out of OMC sales the OMC SALES department made the decision to change the suggested fuel/oil ratio for the 3 horse and other plain bearing engines in their line to 24/1 in the late '50s followed by even leaner mixes a bit later. The plain bearings in the Lightwin/JW series never changed----only the recommended fuel/oil ratios.
Since I have a weakness for the 3 horse OMC twins I've acquired quite a bit of experience on just how that worked out. In short I MUCH prefer to run across an early 3 horse. Even if they have many more hours on them than the later models running a thinner mix they virtually always have better compression! I just bought a powerhead from a first model Evinrude model 3012. It has compression in the mid 90s! When I finish the repaint it is slated to replace the worn-out powerhead on a cosmetically near-perfect, extremely low hour '58 that was operated by someone who bought into the snake-oil sales hype!
I suppose that's enough rant for the day. Just sorta sorry that the OP failed to understand that I was exercising 'tough love'.;) If the ancient wisdom "ignorance is bliss" is indeed true then he must be a very 'happy camper'!

M

mrcrabs

sorry I mentioned the multi ratio oil;)

Last edited:

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

CATrans

I?ve read your responses for a lot of years now, and I value what you have to say.

I might be mistaken, I have been before, But I considered my question answered by Eska.

I feel Tom was using this as an opportunity to exert his self-anointed superiority. I have seen this type of behavior on this forum (although rare) and other forums before. And I will admit that I have a low tolerance for rudeness?

I am not going to defend my question or explain my level of knowledge/expertise. I will say however that I was lazy and in a hurry to gain some information as to the value of these motors to assist me in making a decision. Which is my understanding as a long time user of Iboat forum, the benefit of the many Sages who frequent (haunt) these many pages.

Now Eska if you seriously want these motors PM me. I have never shipped one/two, now having said that I?ll tell you I have access to our shipping department, just haven?t shipped motors ?yet

M

mrcrabs

I might be mistaken, I have been before, But I considered my question answered by Eska
hey I wouldn't lie to you much, but I would give my best advice, you could have more money sitting there than you think? 50$ to a boaty guy is not much really and I have my self made lots of geduis parting things out, I use to have a fetish for BMW's still have several chips from dinan and others, as well as computers for the 325i and specialized tools,,,my wife thinks I crazy but she drive a 540i and I know what I;m doing with it....:confused: I have always had boat's and Johnson rod's evilrudes but lately I have taken on the dependable eska as my object of affection,:redface: and decided to join Iboats, I never fail to learn from the Johnson & Evinrude forum and find that my impute is never needed....but here??? and I have come to learn that there's lots of knowledge to be had on any forum if you take a beating now and then,,,tom's old and cantankerous and CAT hates ESKAS's or anybody who like's them...so to make a long story short...Other??? outboards draws out the nuts like me and tom and cat and in my defence I have been drinking:p beer

Last edited:

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks,

Can't go wrong with BMW's cars or bikes..

I ride Harleys and have done so for many years, had to do over again I'd park a Beemer under my butt