Prop question

Gunny146

Recruit
Hello all. I am new to the site but saw the wealth of knowledge on here. I have a question for the experts here. I am looking to buy a Procraft 170 combo with a 115 Mariner. The seller says the boat is an 1989, but records show the 170 combo started in 1991. I digress. The seller states the prop is "out of round". He told me a ski rope became entagled in the prop. He siad he took it to a mech who told him the prop is out of round and should be replaced. As I am uneducated about props, can someone tell me if it is possible to damage a prop in this manner. The boat is is fairly good condition for the age and really cheap. I want to buy the boat, but the prop damage causes a little concern. Thanks for the help in advance.
Gunny

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop question

Anythng is possible.I never heard a prop called out of round.
The blades could be distorted (bent) or the hub may have spun and been damaged causing the prop to wobble. The prop shaft could be bent.
You can check the shaft.,Remove the prop and rotate the shaft with some sort of indicator held close to it.Could be expensive if the shaft is bent.A prop shop could evaluate the prop and it is likely repairable if its cost effective.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prop question

props are fairly cheap compared to fixing the lower unit...

just like stated above ...remove the prop and turn the shaft.. or turn the prop on the shaft... if you think the prop is the problem you can get a new prop from $100-$400.. but if the lower unit is damaged could be over $1000....

make sure before you buy the boat the guy either takes you on a spin or at least do a compression check and make sure the motor is in top shape.... the compression readings between cylinders should not exceed +-10%.... from what i've heard mariner are not the greatest motors out there

good luck