How to use a Multimeter

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
I thought this might be a helpful tutorial to give the members here a better understanding on how to troubleshoot their boat's electrical systems and circuits.

Multimeter Basics

The Multimeter is probably the most important tool in your toolbox when you own an older boat. Over time, so much crap goes wrong electrically with your boat, it is almost impossible to troubleshoot and track down the causes of failures without one.

Now to some who have limited electrical experience, a multimeter may look daunting, when in reality, there are basically 3 functions used on the whole damn dial. DC Voltage, AC Voltage (for those that have shorepower or a generator), and Continuity.

12VDC- Obviously, this setting is used to measure the voltage present in a live circuit, as well as to determine the voltage level of a battery. Very straightforward, simply set the dial to this position...
MultimeterDCVoltage.jpg

Touch the black probe to a good ground and the red probe to the wire/terminal you wish to check for voltage.
If you have a 24V system (like a 24V trolling motor), you'll need to set the dial on 200.

120VAC- For those with shorepower, this is the setting used to check both your outlets and your breakers...
MultimeterACVoltage.jpg

Put the black probe in the ground socket and the red probe in the smaller of the 2 vertical sockets. Readings should be between 118V to 123V. This is a good measure of how well the dock or marina is supplying power.

For checking 120VAC breakers on your panel, remove your panel and drop it down, revealing the backside of the breakers. Turn a breaker on, touch the black probe to the ground bus bar, and the red probe first to the input side of the breaker (to make sure the breaker is getting power), then to the output side. Both sides should read the same, approx. 120V.

Continuity- This feature is used to determine if there is a break in a wire, or basically an interruption in current flow. Set the dial on this setting, it looks like a little horn speaker. Most meters have an audible continuous beep when continuity is detected...
MultimeterContinuity.jpg

Touch either probe to one end of the wire, and the other to where you wish to check to see if it is continuous. When you have a good continuous wire, the digital readout should show 000-001. If it shows a reading of 020, chances are the wire is either loose at one end or the other, or there is heavy corrosion in the wire.

Probe Positions- These are the 2 sockets you plug the probes into...
MultimeterProbes-1.jpg

I also carry an extra black lead with an alligator clip on the end so I can clip it to a ground bus or battery terminal and not have to hold it.

Hope this gives you a little better understanding of how to use a multimeter, and how to further your troubleshooting skills...

rangerdan

Recruit
Re: How to use a Multimeter

Great post!! wish there were more post like yours, easy to understand.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Great post, deffinately usable, glad you didn't use an autoranger, what a pain in the rear.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very good post!

May I add something to the 120-volt AC measurement? When using probes to measure 120-volt AC circuits, keep one hand in your pocket! This minimizes the chance that you'll accidentally complete a circuit.

capndan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks, great post! I did a search on "Multimeters", and prices range from $10, to over $200. Obviously there is a lot I still don't know about these things. I did a search for the very model in your post, and couldn't find one, likely an older model that is out of production.

For checking circuits on my old boat, what price range would be reasonable?

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

My company provided me with a Fluke auto-ranger and I also have an Ideal dial style that is similar to the one in the pictures above. I rarely use the Fluke 200+$. The Ideal can be picked up at Home Depot for around $80 and the tolerances are similar to the Fluke. The Ideal is a lower range priced meter and a meter that has lasted me over 5 years with no problems.

The bottom line, I would recommend for occasional use a meter that is inexpensive as possible. If you have the money, look at the Ideals. Just make sure the one you choose has a sounder for continuity, this makes everything a lot easier when troubleshooting.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Wallymart has an autoranging digital for about $25 in the automotive aisle.

No fused ammeter input, but otherwise has full functionality. Also doesn't withstand being dropped as many times as the Craftsman meter I bought on ebay. Otherwise I found it fully serviceable (until I dropped it that last time).

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Harbor Freight - $3.00 on sale. This meter does not have a continuity beeper, but you cannot beat the price. As an electrical enginee, I have a couple of good meters, but I still bought 2 for spares in the boat and in the car. The biggest difference between the expensive meters and the cheapest are accuracy, features (scales) and robustness (how well it will tolerate abuse). For $3, you won't get a lot of robustness, but you will still mostly be OK (in my opinion).

TerryMSU

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Terry,
You're absolutely correct about those little HF jewels! Whenever I stop into the HF store in New Port Richey, I pick up at least one, they're almost always on sale. I've got the little things everywhere around the house and shop...

I use this Craftsman, good heavy rubber outer shell, does the trick for me as I could never see spending the money on a Fluke unless ABSOLUTE accuracy was needed...
Pics002.jpg

Cost about $45, has a fold out stand on the back and audible continuity. But the real ticket is the lead with the alligator clip next to it. Beats holding a probe on the ground bus when you need a third hand...
1sm088doubleup.gif