Max. hp rating for 2004 ZX 250 Skeeter bass boat?

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer
What is the max. horsepower rating for a 2004 Skeeter ZX 250 hull?

Someone is selling theirs with a 300hp Vmax and I?m wondering if that is over the horsepower rating. If not, WHOOHOO! :D

thompy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Max. hp rating for 2004 ZX 250 Skeeter bass boat?

not sure but i would believe it would handle it, i seem to remember them showing off the zx with the boat mounted by the transom suspended on a cart. contact Skeeter

thompy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:eek::eek::eek:

haulnazz15

Captain

I bet it's rated for up to 300HP. Most of the modern 20-22ft bass boats have a 300HP engine option, although it is rare that anyone actually orders it. Most stick with the 225 or 250HP since the price is several thousand less and the top end isn't much different. Lots of fuel savings too. You ever seen those 300HP outboards? Those things are freaking huge!

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

I bet it's rated for up to 300HP. Most of the modern 20-22ft bass boats have a 300HP engine option, although it is rare that anyone actually orders it. Most stick with the 225 or 250HP since the price is several thousand less and the top end isn't much different. Lots of fuel savings too. You ever seen those 300HP outboards? Those things are freaking huge!

Yes it is! Looks like a 454 hanging off the back.:D

It is rated up to 300. I found it here on iboats. I can't believe I forgot to look there first. I knew it would be there once I remembered. All you have to do is search by manufacturer and model.

According to the Yamaha performance bulletin for that boat model, the VMax pushes it up to 76-78mph with 2 people, fuel, and gear. I bet with the right prop and setup, it could push 80 with a single rider.

It's no Bullet or Allison but that's just way faster than anyone needs. At least the Skeeter will ride better than the Bullet.

I told my buddy (the one interested in buying one) that he could cruise at 60mph and get 4mpg and that's as fast as his old Ranger would do WOT and only got 1.5mpg. I see a real advantage of having the 300hp. The "Shock and Awe" factor at the ramp and great mileage at 60-65mph is worth it if you keep your throttle off the "WOT" range. :D

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

The 300 Zuke is not that much bigger than the 225/250 physically. The problem is you can't get them in 20" shaft lengths...

haulnazz15

Captain

That Skeeter is a beautiful rig. That being said, I'm just not sure I'd want to be doint 65+ on a boat like that. The water better be complete glass on a weekday without another boat in sight to create waves, lol. The back end of those 250/300HP bass boats looks like it's about 8" from being underwater when they are sitting still! There's just so much weight at the back when not in motion.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That Skeeter is a beautiful rig. That being said, I'm just not sure I'd want to be doint 65+ on a boat like that. The water better be complete glass on a weekday without another boat in sight to create waves, lol. The back end of those 250/300HP bass boats looks like it's about 8" from being underwater when they are sitting still! There's just so much weight at the back when not in motion.

They are beautiful looking boats, but, depending on where you live, they are an expensive toy with no practicality at all.

I have a simple 19 footer with a little 4 banger and on weekends I can run circles around the bass boats. Give them a little chop and you get beaten up real bad.