1977 115HP Merc horrible gas consumption

DAaker

Cadet
Hey guys, this is kind of a follow up on my carb jet swap, which worked out great BTW. After 4 days on the water I had horrible gas consumption on my 115 HP Merc compared to my buddy's 115 HP Mariner. The problem began last fall after a carb rebuild by the local Merc expert. :mad: I notice the motor surging at a mid range cruse. Wide open or at a troll it runs fine and starts good as well. The surging and poor gas consumption happened with both the .072 and the .070 jets so that's not the problem. What do you think is my problem and how can I fix it? Thanks!

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: 1977 115HP Merc horrible gas consumption

After 4 days on the water I had horrible gas consumption on my 115 HP Merc compared to my buddy's 115 HP Mariner.

Thats a pretty general statement and hard to comment on without more specifics.

What was your actual consumption vs the Mariner? Were they both run at the same time, under the same conditions?

What year is the Merc and the Mariner?

As a "rule of thumb", you will probably consume about 12 gals of gas per hour at WOT.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The .070 jet is to small for that engine as factory was a .072 or .074. The surging can come from weak fuel pressure(fuel pump diaphram,anti siphon valve,wrong size fuel line and bulb,air leak,float level ) I would check the carbs and "back draft" circuit as this is in operation at mid range.

DAaker

Cadet

Here's more details for you guys. First of all, I live and boat in Colorado at between 5,000 - 6,000' elevation. The .070 are the jets I've been running successfully in the motor for the past 10+ years. Several weeks ago I traveled to S. Dakota to a lake that is 1,500' and changed the jets to .072. As far as general performance, both jets worked well at each elevation.

The "slight" surging at a medium speed cruse started after the mechanic rebuilt the carbs last fall and the surging was/is present at both elevations. As I said, it does not affect the overall performance, but I notice it, just as you guys get to know your engines. The greatest difference to me is the fuel consumption.

The whole carb thing started when the motor suddenly was not able to get the boat to a plane. I was able to accelerate only up to 7-10 MPH. As it turned out, the carb rebuild was due to a cracked and leaky float in one of the carbs. Unfortunately, the mechanic did a lot of other things before he got to the carbs. During the first round he (1) Replaced plugs that I had replaced the year before and mine were the correct plugs and looked fine to me. (2) Replaced all the fuel lines and checked for leaks, there were none. (3) Checked and cleaned dist cap and brush. (4) Checked in the tank and said "sounds good in the tank, good accel." After a lake trip, there was not change and he rebuilt the the carbs. So, back to the lake and it seemed to run OK except for the slight surging and increased gas consumption.

Regarding the suggestions by Faztbullet, and thanks BTW, not sure if my skills are up to checking all those possibilities, but I know that the mechanic did replace the fuel line and bulb. The size of those ?? Is checking the float level in those carbs a difficult task for a novice? I do have the Seloc vol lll for reference. I've got a call in to my buddy to find out what year his Mariner is. I know it's newer than my Merc which is a 1977, but his is not real new. And yes, we basically went the same distances. And just to sum up, the surging is "slight" but noticeable to me. Let me know if you have more questions, I'm serious about getting this old girl right. Thanks!

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

as stated about the "backdrag" system.....this is the little black tube that goes across your carb from the float bowl cover to the port side. This system was designed for fuel economy purposes at mid range throttle. Take the black tube off and stick a .177 BB into the hose and reconnect. This will disable this portion of the system.

Next, look at the small jet orifice coming out of the top of the float bowl cover on the starboard side......this orifice allows air into the float bowl to keep a constant atmospheric pressure. Make sure they're not clogged. I have met a few guys that remove them all together to ensure there is proper air into the bowls. It seems to be a 50/50 shot on whether or not you need that orifice to have the right jets. I live in the Colorado Springs area and I have them installed!

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you live close by you may need some local help........

DAaker

Cadet

The motor I compared my 1977 115HP Merc to is a 1989 115HP Mariner. ClassyGlassy, I'll send you a private email.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I believe there are different backdrag jets for diffferent altitudes. Perhaps that is the source of the surging?

DAaker

Cadet

As of today, I checked the .092 jets on the top of the carb for obstructions, none, and inserted BBs in the backdrag tubes as recommended by ClassyGassy. Hope to check it out on the lake soon.

One other question. Faztbullet mentioned the possibility of a wrong fuel line size. I did notice that the mechanic had changed that as well when he rebuilt the carbs. He replaced the old line with a, what seems to be a 3/8" ID by Mercury Marine type B1-SAE J-1527 fuel line. The line is about 54" including a new bulb. Is this the correct inside diameter for this 1977 115HP I/6 ?

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

3/8" ID is correct for your fuel line! Where you heading this weekend?

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh, and I can get pretty "Gassy"!

DAaker

Cadet

I'd like to head to Pueblo Friday but the wife... has a tree she wants planted. Actually, I'm the KING in my castle, 90% of the time. I hear the walleye are getting serious down there. But you know how it can be over a big weekend.

DAaker

Cadet

Alright, alright, I just noticed. Bet I'm not the first to make that mistake:D

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The back draft jets are there to lower the atmospheric pressure in the fuel bowls as an attempt to improve fuel consumption. If the floats are set too high that doesn't work and your motor will surge. Put the backdraft jets back to the recommended size for your altitude and set the floats to factory recommended heights and you should be back in business.

Believe it or not, the Merc Engineers did know what they were doing when the wrote the spec's.

Here's a quick tip - Pull out the float needle seats and make sure none of the old gasket material was left on them when the new gasket was installed. This will mess up your float height.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

its O.K., my wife tells me how things are going to be as well! :D

I'll be getting my boat wet either next week or the week after for a good float test and engine tune before we go to Nebraska for the 4th of July. I'll be testing the hull, transom, and floor after I just got done rebuilding them! Motor has been off since March so a good run on the water is what it needs too.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

and you really didn't make a mistake.....I REALLY have lots of Gas!:eek:

DAaker

Cadet

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your experience and knowledge.