carb work didnt help - video of 50hp bogging

KRS62

Cadet
Well, I am still having an issue with my motor running right when it's tilted all the way down (getting up on plane.) I took it in to the shop a month ago and they replaced a few carb parts and fuel filter. It definitely helped it run better in some areas, but didn?t address the main problem. The video here is with the throttle all the way down the entire time. I did not move the throttle at any time. You can hear it run up for a sec or two, get groggy?then SLOWLY get better. It takes around 20 seconds to run up to solid RPMs. Finally, it?s hard to notice on the video, but the last 2-3 seconds, you will hear it fade quite a bit?that is when we went over another boats wake. Again, the throttle is pinned. If the motor is tilted up (too high to plane) it will run problem free.

Some have suggested that the floats need to be adjusted. I plan to take it back to the shop and bring my laptop to show the video. Before I do, does anyone have any thoughts of what it could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SFjIbZKXQ

KRS

Re: carb work didnt help - video of 50hp bogging

Check fuel supply line from tank to engine. Sounds like there is a restriction in the fuel supply when you have it tilted to the run position.??

KRS62

Cadet

Thanks! I took it into the shop yesterday. I took my laptop in as well and played the video. The mechanic thought that was really cool and helpful. I just hope he fixes it!

KRS

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Sounds and acts like the carbs are too lean, the idle mixture is too lean and needs to be richened up.

The fact that it runs OK once up to speed is a sign that the floats are very close to correct.

Raising trim is a sign that the idle mixture is too lean, raised and without the water column in the exhaust passage the lean idle will accelerate the motor, down and with the additional back pressure then the idle needs to be richer.