1989 Evinrude 140 Low RPM startup

bdl1801

Cadet
I have an 1989 Evinrude 140 when I first start a cold motor it runs at a low rpm and wants to die if I let it go without giving any throttle it will gradually increase rpm to normal idle speed and idle fine. I will usually have to give it some throttle at cold start up so it doest try to die if I restart the motor right away it will start fine but if I wait over 30 min it will do the same thing. When I restart the motor right away it will start at a little higher rpm around 1200 then gradually slow to around 900 RPM. I have cleaned all the carbs and it still acts this way so I think they might be ok. Is the timing automatically retarded at start up to make for easier starting? Is there something on the timing which might need adjusting? I have an OMC service manual and after reading the timing procedure there seems to be quite a few steps which have to be done in sequence to get it right so I didn?t mess with it.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 Evinrude 140 Low RPM startup

I have an 1989 Evinrude 140 when I first start a cold motor it runs at a low rpm and wants to die if I let it go without giving any throttle it will gradually increase rpm to normal idle speed and idle fine. I will usually have to give it some throttle at cold start up so it doest try to die if I restart the motor right away it will start fine but if I wait over 30 min it will do the same thing. When I restart the motor right away it will start at a little higher rpm around 1200 then gradually slow to around 900 RPM. I have cleaned all the carbs and it still acts this way so I think they might be ok. Is the timing automatically retarded at start up to make for easier starting? Is there something on the timing which might need adjusting? I have an OMC service manual and after reading the timing procedure there seems to be quite a few steps which have to be done in sequence to get it right so I didn?t mess with it.

by "cleaning the carbs" did you rebuild or just ran some carb cleaner? if just cleaner then you might want to rebuild them.... "cleaning" doesn't always do a good job.... in my signature there's a good way to clean the carbs... give that a try, if that doesn't work rebuild them....

have you tried to pump the priming bulb while these symptoms occur?
last time spark plugs and wires were changed?

if you want to check the timing there's a procedure you can follow... look in the FAQ section.... and no, timing it is nor retarded...

when i start my motor cold, 120hp 1989 pretty much the same motor as yours, i usually give it some gas and let it idle around 1500 for about 30 sec to a min to get the motor warmed up... then i bring the throttle back and let it idle... should idle around 850 in neutral in water....

so, try priming the bulb while the motor is running... if that doesn't do anything for you try do follow the carb cleaning instructions.... check the spark plugs and wires... then check your timing...

if nothing worked i would rebuild the carburators and go from there...

good luck

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The 1988 And 1989 140HP motors have QuikStart ignition systems which advance the timing for a cold start. When the engine reaches 96 degrees or 1100 RPM, whichever occurs first, QuikStart releases.

If you have the warm-up lever advanced to the point that QuikStart releases prematurely because of reaching 1100 RPM, the engine will be harder to keep running.

If QuikStart is not functioning on your engines, not only will they be much harder to cold start than necessary, but keeping the engine running during the warm-up period will be unnecessarily difficult.

Regardless of the engine temperature, QuikStart is active for 5 seconds whenever the engine is started, so you should hear the engine cut back as the QuikStart is released after 5 seconds or whenever the engine reaches 96 degrees. It is clearly noticeable by sound and feel when it is working properly. QuikStart is controlled through the black and white wire running from the port temperature switch in your port cylinder switch.

Since the timing has to be done with QuikStart disabled, it would be best to follow the steps defined in the factory service manual if for some reason you feel that you need to make adjustments.

bdl1801

Cadet

I tested the port side temp sensor (white with black stripe wire) Had a open at a cold temp and afer I warmed up the engine the circuit should have closed after 96 deg and it did not.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the circuit did not close after reaching 96 degrees then you would be stuck in QuikStart because it would not release the advance unless you went above 1100 RPM.

I don't think that your QuikStart is working at all, and testing the switch is not going to help because QuikStart is a powerpack function.

When the engine starts, try grounding the powerpack end of the black and white wire to the engine block and see if the motor slows down.

bdl1801

Cadet

Tried grounding power pack to ground and no change in engine speed it looks like my power pack and port temp sensor might be bad. Does anyone know a reasonable place to find parts for this motor?