Status
Not open for further replies.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What Tower Should I Go For, or Don't Bother

Re: What Tower Should I Go For, or Don't Bother

Well, I just purchased my tower...

http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=620

I ended up going with the loaded one with 2 speakers, light bar, one knee board rack, one wakeboard rack, and mirror. I got it all for $1,379 with free shipping from Cal. to Ohio and should be here by Friday.

I was also looking at a nice set-up by Aerial on e-bay that is similar, but it is a pre-order deal and would have taken some time to get here. I liked the looks of both about the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310221879528&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I ended up going with the DYI though, & I am soooo excited fo it to get here so I can throw that baby on...
I will post some pictures when I am done. I do still have to get an amp for the speakers, and wire the speakers and light bar up, but I don't think it should be too bad to do.

Cant wait to see the pics!...The wiring should be pretty easy! Dont worry about the gel coat crracking they com with a 1/2 inch thick rubber pad for each foot to keep that from happening. Dont forget to ask a buddy over to help its alot easyer with 2 people.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: UPDATED 05-24...What Tower Should I Go For, or Don't Bother...Got my Tower

I already have people lined up. I will have atleast 4, plus me, they are all excited & want to be there for the installation... I think I made the right choice & can't wait to get behind her on the board.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hope your gel coat doesn't spider crack!

I think it will be OK, but, I just may be trying to be optimistic. I will post some photo's soon & let yah know what I think about it...

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pretty bummed out right now. :( :( :(
I have been using the Fed-Ex tracking system & it showed that it should be here today, but did not arrive. I called them a bit ago & still waiting for a call back.
I told everyone to be ready for a call & come over for the installation. I am going out of town ( 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. ) tomorrow around lunch and was wanting to get her on for the weekend. If it arrives by the time I leave, I may install it at the cabin. I will bring every tool imaginable to make sure I can get it done correctly. The water temp. is still about 65, but I want to try this baby out pretty bad.
I hope to post some new pictures with it on at the beginning of the week or sooner.

oldjeep

Admiral

Bummer, must be something with towers. UPS lost mine for 2 weeks - during which time it took an unexplained trip from MN (where I live) to AZ and back

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bummer, must be something with towers. UPS lost mine for 2 weeks - during which time it took an unexplained trip from MN (where I live) to AZ and back

OUCH! Please don't tell me that! lol
I know it has 2 boxes for the shipment. I hope I don't get one tomorrow & the other in a few weeks...

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That sucks! Does the tracking say if it has arrived at your local hub or is it still in transit?

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That sucks! Does the tracking say if it has arrived at your local hub or is it still in transit?

Just looked now, and it says it is on Fed Ex truck for delivery. I hope both boxes are there...

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

good luck, I'm excited for ya!

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

good luck, I'm excited for ya!

Thanks!
Lakes are going to be so busy this weekend though, I won't get the smooth water for boarding.

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just gotta get up early to beat the crowds :)

That's right! What time are you hitting the water? I'll be up before sunrise...However I have to put new tires on the trailer before I head out :mad:

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's right! What time are you hitting the water? I'll be up before sunrise...However I have to put new tires on the trailer before I head out :mad:

I FEEL YOUR PAIN...
We went to the lake for a couple hours yesterday and on the way home, I had one of my tires on the port side trailer blow-out. I was only about 2 miles from the lake. I was planning on getting out to the lake about 7 this morning, but, now I will be waiting for a tire store to open. I didn't have a spare, like an idiot. I was thinking with the tandem trailer, I can just ride on the other 3 for a short time period to get a new one, but it didn't work like that. The other tire on that side rubs the wheel-well. I just got a lesson-learned. My brother came to my rescue with his spare off his trailer. Then he came over to help me with the tower installation.
I did get the tower up, but still need to mount all the accessories. That will happen this week I guess. I can atleast enjoy the tower today...

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OMG!!!!
I looooove the tower.
I got up, my brother got up, but no one else with us was able. It's hard to teach it to them..
You can get so much more air on these things. I had a couple really good wake to wake jumps, and a couple really ugly wipe-outs, but man the tower is worth the $$$. I can't wait to get my racks, light bar, and speakers hooked up.
I will try & post some pictures here soon...

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She is still very dirty from the last 4 days of boating, and I didn't get all my stuff on it yet, but here are some preliminary photo's. I tagged onto another thread about the wiring of the speakers and lightbar,

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=397692

so if anyone can help. I appreciate it...
Thanks, Rodger
MemorialWeekend009.jpg

MemorialWeekend008.jpg

MemorialWeekend015.jpg

MemorialWeekend016.jpg

MemorialWeekend010.jpg

MemorialWeekend007.jpg

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

looks good! How does it ride? I thought it was pretty simple to install....you have any issues?

oldjeep

Admiral

Turned out real nice!

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would drill holes and feed the wire through, then at each joint I would pull the wire out of the tube jump the joint and feed it through the next tube and use rubber bushing to keep the wire from rubbing on the metal edge of the holes. Also i would install plugs at all the points where the wire comes out so that the tower can be dissembled with out cutting wire.

The rubber grommets can be pucked up from Lowes and the plug is from Jamestown distributer but should be able to pick it up at a Radio shack. You will need to feed the wire through then install the plug once through so you dont have to drill a huge hole. also run the wire through the back tube because the front is the one that disconnects to colaps the the tower.

also shrink warp the wire connects to prevent shorting and any water from getting in. I saw there are wiring instruction on DIY web site if they didnt send them to you. its under the downloads section.

You can also get metallic wire wrap from a auto parts store to wrap the wires and plugs where they come out of the tube so that you have a real clean professional look and the plugs and wires arent so noticeable.

Untitled-1.png

14403.jpg

unnamed.jpg

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks good! How does it ride? I thought it was pretty simple to install....you have any issues?

It rode great, with VERY little flex at all. Did you not get a chance to take yours out yet? I was so happy I chose this tower over some of the others. It was about the best deal I was finding.
I thought it was a pretty easy install too, and I didn't have any issues other than the bolts that hold the foot bracket being a little to short for my new backing plates. It was hard to keep my helpers sober enough to actually be helping though. lol

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It rode great, with VERY little flex at all. Did you not get a chance to take your out yet? I was so happy I chose this tower over some of the others. It was about the best deal I was finding.
I thought it was a pretty easy install too, and I didn't have any issues other than the bolts that hold the foot bracket being a little to short for my new backing plates. It was hard to keep my helpers sober enough to actually be helping though. lol

No I have not been able to get out yet, but I am to the point that I am just waiting on the cushions to get done, the wife is working hard on it. But glad to see you got your out and your happy with it......i hate suggesting things cause I am always afraid the person will be un-happy with it and I look like the ***.

For future referance you arent supposed to give your help the payment of beer till the job is done!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.