A couple of questions about Smart Tabs and Boat Performance.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
1. Please refer to the attached pictures. Is grease coming out of a new steering (Teleflex NFB) normal. This brand new unit has less than 10 total hours on it.

2. I took the boat (19.5 ft v-hull 140 hp Suzuki) out on Thursday, she 25 mph at 4200 rpm in a moderate chop. Took it out on Saturday and it ran 25 mph at 4800 rpm in a light chop. She ran at 19.5 on Saturday at 4200 rpm. I have put the Smart Tabs on it, 60 lb?rs on the 5th hole.

I am new to this, first boat per say. I am not sure if the boat is acting as it should, or not. Don't know if the prop is the correct size or if it may be slipping. I do have an electric trim on the motor.

When I power up, it stands up and then really slowly plane?s out. I use the trim to tilt the motor up until I think I have found the sweet spot but I just don?t know if this is normal or not.

I moved the trim tabs up from the middle but not sure if I know what I am doing with those either. It seems that the tabs are just at the water line when powered up, is this expected?

Thanks in advance for what I hope will be some direction here.

Attachments

• boat steering 1.jpg
    boat steering 1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat steering 2.jpg
    boat steering 2.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: A couple of questions.

Re: A couple of questions.

That grease looks water contaminated and dirty, clean it up and you'll find the grease fitting, push the old grease and water out with a grease gun by pumping fresh grease into it, looks like someone has just been messy.

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A couple of questions about Smart Tabs and Boat Performance.

Trim the motor all the way down and the tabs all the way down on out of the hole acceleration.
Once the bow lowers down, raise the tabs and the trim until you find the best running attitude.....which will be a combination of RPM's and MPH.

I am looking right now at the steering arm end of a Teleflex steering system.
There is no way that amount of grease is coming from this cable.

I wonder if the little bug is enjoying the flavor of dirty grease?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Trim the motor all the way down and the tabs all the way down on out of the hole acceleration.
Once the bow lowers down, raise the tabs and the trim until you find the best running attitude.....which will be a combination of RPM's and MPH.

I am looking right now at the steering arm end of a Teleflex steering system.
There is no way that amount of grease is coming from this cable.

I wonder if the little bug is enjoying the flavor of dirty grease?

Smart tabs are not powered and non adjustable while under power.

You should be operating the trim the same way you did before you installed the tabs. You should find yourself on plane faster and improved high speed handling.

The tabs should be in the water when you are at rest........ the water pressure acts upon the cylinders and they start to flatten out with increased speed.

What are you using to judge your speed in a light chop? Are you using a water pressure boat speedometer? Really not accurate....... you should use a GPS

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the gps for the speed, dont' know if it is right but should at least be consistant.

Specifically what type of grease do i use on this steering ?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Marine grease will work fine and it actually goes in the tilt hinges unless someone has equipped the steering with a grease fitting.

Hmmm gps...... I hope the weather clears so you can play with the boat. The smart tabs work great and I am sure you will see.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, i did have a grease fitting installed with it. Thought that i shouldn't use just regular marine grease, is there something different i should use ?

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you ran the trim tabs in the 3rd (middle hole) yet? If not move it to the middle hole and try it again.... or if you have move it to whatever hole you have not tried... It sounds like the 5th hole is not working for you so that is what I would try...