89 Yamaha 115 V4 Precision Mixture Oil Pump not working

004x41500

Recruit
Well, I'm new to this forum, and I did a quick search for my problem, read through quite a few posts to no avail.

Well heres the issue, we just bought a 89 wellcraft with a Yamaha 115hp V4 Precision Mixture 2 stroke outboard, and were having problems with the oil pumping from the main 11 quart tank, into the smaller tank mounted under the cowling of the motor.

My question is, is there a pump in the main tank that can be replaced? or is there something else i should look into to figure out why oil doesnt pump from the main to the motor mounted tank?
Also does the main tank pump directly to the motor, or does in fill the smaller tank?

The motor runs great, but it seems to be running quite rich in oil. And we feel that this pump could be at fault, any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I tried to keep this as short as possible, though there wasn't any other way to, and fully explain my problem at the same time.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89 Yamaha 115 V4 Precision Mixture Oil Pump not working

I would get read of the big 11 qt. tank and just keep refilling the 3-4qt. reservoir under the motor cover.

004x41500

Recruit

weve actually been doing that, but the smaller tank is more like 1 1/2 quarts. so we have to stop to fill it back up every 30-45 mins of cruising.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Do a forum search on precision blend motors and read aboout the float switches, pump, filters and testing of the system. Rodbolt has written a lot about it as have others.
A Yamaha service/ repair manual for your motor will help you a lot

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i agree with 99yam40.
if the remote pump is not pumping to the engine tank, you probably have a bad switch swb, corroded wire harness or pump is bad. you need to test.

there are many posts on testing the oil systems on this forum.
here's a good doc i have.

if you feel that your engine is over oiling, then there is an adjustment linkage that connects to the mech oil pump. there are posts on that too. also note, that certain oil brands smoke more than others.