new baby in the garage

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
well i picked up my newest toy yesterday.1966 80 hp electramatic johnson.the p.o. said the girl wasnt charging but in the same breath said the battery usually lasted most of the summer.now i havnt read up on it yet but dont they have a small charging unit under the flywheel with the option to add a generator ?my 63 75 starflite is almost the exact same with a few diffs and it has no genny either.for 150 bucks i got the motor with new prop and all controls except the power box you bolt on to the boat .i noticed in 66 they used a differnt shifter than the push button and the prop nose cone has a neet pin system ,much nicer than the basic cotter one.today is the big day to try out the 75 and see how she runs.so lets say it is a disaster for arguments sake,could you just slap on the 80 and use the evinrude shifter and elect box?looks to me like it would work.hopeing the 75 works good then i got a complete motor for a spare.a previous poster said you could switch cowlings and im here to say thats 100 percent correct you can swith them back and forth no problem.the biggest diff i see is strictly with the elect as the 80 has a couple of elect boxes on the motor that the 75 doesnt even though they are both mag/battery systems and the coil on the 80 is on top not down low in the cowling like the 75.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: new baby in the garage

well will be getting to try the 80 sooner than i thought .took the 75 out yesterday and had a catastrophic failure!back to the garage and several hours later the 80 is now perched on the back.i see in 66 they did away with the elect box that the 63 had that was bolted to the inside of the boat and went to a differnt shifter.i have 10 galloons of 24:1 in my tank now so i guess the 80 may smoke for a little while.in reading a 66 broucher it says that in 66 they went to 50:1 for the 100hp meteor,would the same apply to the 80 elctramatic?hope i have better luck with the 80 today.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeeehaaa!sucess ,the 66 80 electramatic johnson runs like a swiss watch.i dont know about you guys, but i love those elect shift motors ,smoooooth!idles right down to a crawl which is what i was looking for and could never achieve with the 82 90 evinrude i use to have on there and whom shall now be readdy for sale soon.soon as i take out the 80 for a few more days and am satisfied with it being able to last.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

i have 10 galloons of 24:1 in my tank now so i guess the 80 may smoke for a little while.in reading a 66 broucher it says that in 66 they went to 50:1 for the 100hp meteor,would the same apply to the 80 elctramatic?hope i have better luck with the 80 today.

50:1 since the late-late 50's early 60's!