Force 1993 40 hp - not pissing!

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, as some of you may know I have got the boat with 40 hp force on the back. First I had torubles starting it, then I got it going. After maybe a minute of running I noticed that there is no water stream from the 2 pissing holes on the back of the motor. Not even a drop. It is very wierd since the PO said taht it was in the water before it refused to start one day.

Question 1: Should there be water in pissing holes when the motor is in neutral?

Question 2: Is there an overheat alarm on this motor?

Question 3: What can be the cuase of no water - impeller broke? If I had to take he lower unit down, would I see why it is not pumping water? Or I will hayve to statr throwing parts on it?

Thanks a lot and your help is greatly appreciated.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Force 1993 40 hp - not pissing!

Water will be spurting out the holes when you have it in the water, or if you have the muffs on really tight. It will take just a few seconds for it to start going. If you wanna go ahead, then your impeller is what is likely your issue, if you have one at all. No special tools needed. just kinda easy to do.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

I had only water coming out of mine at idle, not while driving.

Took the lower end off and it was the impeller.

Started the boat and man at idle water was pouring out and at WOT you could take a shower with it.

Check the impeller, most likely the problem

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for your replies.
So is there a thermostat on this motor? How do would I know that it is overheating?
Also, what are the signs taht this motor was overheated by PO?

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depending on the motor is if you have an overheating alarm on the head you should have a sensor that goes into it and is locked in by a retainer. That would be the easiest way look in your manual. And for the no water coming out, how long did you run it and how did you have water being supplied to it? If you had in a tank/barrel was the motor in deep enough or like they said were the ears on tight enough? I cant put ears on my motor due to the water inlets being on either side of the prop shaft houseing.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have tried both, barrel (water covered inlet holes for sure, but bubbled a lot due to exaust) and muffs. I cannot get them tight on it ......but I put water stron enough taht it flows through inlet hole on the other side, so that tells me that it should pick up at least something.
Is impeller being pushed by the exaust?

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stick the motor in a trash can full of water up to at least the anti vent plate. Then run it for a few seconds to see if it will start spurting water out. May as well let ot run at least a minute or two since that will give you a clear answer. If its bad it will never let any water come out, and that short of run time wont let the engine overheat. And if its bad, well your gonna have to replace it anyway... if its good then you will see water spurting out the two so called pee holes you spoke of. It will not **** out a constant stream. But it will spurt out pretty well.

No, the impeller is not exhaust driven, its driven by the axel. And is fairly easy to replace. Do a search on this forum to find out how.

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont think your were in the water deep enough, Like an idiot I just had that happen to me and I knew better but kept pushing. Had a new housing impeller etc, well couldnt get water to prime and start spraying then my overheat alarm sounded. I wouldnt recomend running it for more than a minute at idle. When I broke down the lower unit and impeller housing I had to tap out the metal insert that my impeler goes in then the housing goes over it. I got the houseing off and wala the new impeller was in pieces and I actually melted the new housing so I wouldnt recommend running it to long or if you already have pull the water pump