trailer light problem

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What would be causing this.
when i plug my trailer to my truck and turn my truck lights on i blow my tail light fuse. the brake lights still work on trailer and truck but tail lights dont.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trailer light problem

Tail light fuse on the truck is too small or there is an issue with the tail light circuit on the trailer.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have a short to ground on the tail/clearance light circuit. Find it and fix it. 15 amps is more than enough.

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so short to ground would be a hot wire touching the trailer?

j_martin

Admiral

Don't ever try to solve a fuse blowing problem by putting in a bigger fuse. The fuse is sized to protect the wiring it powers. If you up the fuse, then the wiring becomes the fuse, usually in the most impossible place and always right in the middle of something that'll easily catch fire.

Find your short. It's in the trailer tail and clearance lamp circuit. All the wiring for it should be brown.

hope it helps
John

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so what will i be looking for? a brown wire that is disconnected from the light?

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

More likely a point on the wire that has worn through. Somewhere where it passes thru the frame or is held by a clip. Possibly a rusted out bulb socket also. Happy hunting!