Need New Starter?

I recently acquired a 1998 Evinrude 115 SPL with very little use. I noticed several times when trying to start it that it would just click. I would turn the key several times and then the engine would fire up.

I have checked my battery connections and it has a new battery. Didn't find anything there. Cleaned everything up and tightened down everything.

Anyhow, I was curious if this sounds indicative of needing to replace the starter in your eyes?

Thanks for your advice!

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need New Starter?

sounds more like the solonoid is worn,

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Measure the voltage at the starter with the key turned to "start".

If you get 12V or more, and the starter's not spinning then its faulty.

If you got low voltage at the starter, then it has to be the solenoid.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It's often not the battery connections that fail, but the cables themselves. They weaken at points where they bend a lot, then corrode inside the sheathing.

Wherever your problem is will get hot when you try to start the engine. You can also find the resistance with a voltage drop test, using a standard DC voltmeter.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Or just bypass all of it and use a jumper cable from the battery to the starter and see if it spins ok. Watch out for sparking at the starter though and try not to melt the terminal.

Thanks for the tips,,,, I'll certainly try the jumper cable trick.

I went ahead and ordered a solenoid since it was less than $20 delivered to my house. The starter is ~$200 so I was a little more hesitant to go that route just yet.

Well,,, I love it when you guys are right! Put the new solenoid on this morning and she starts like a champ! It was a faulty solenoid.

I was just about to order the $200 starter. I'm glad that I didn't now