Does Anybody Know Which Boats Have Flotation?

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice
We are in the process of buying our first sterndrive boat. It is a 1990 Mach I 22 Foot cuddy cabin with a 454 Bravo I. I have made several post asking questions about these boats, and folks have been great to answer all of my questions. This is one friendly forum. Thanks!

The lastest dumb question that I have is if anyone knows if the boat I am considering buying has floation foam inside of it? I know that our Astroglass bass rig has it, as 25 years ago we launched it and forgot to put the plug in. The next morning the boat was sitting low in the water, but was floating high enough that the floor was dry. Even though we all felt pretty stupid, the boats ability to float full of water was impressive. We managed to get the plug in it, and about an hour later the bilge pump had her high and dry again:D.

My canoe has air pockets in each end which are pretty effective;).

Do the performance sport boats have floation foam? And if it were to get swamped, is the flotation sufficent enough to keep the engine from getting full of water:eek:? Just wanting to know in case something leaks, or we are forgetful:redface:. Thanks in advance.

Betty and Charles

Re: Does Anybody Know Which Boats Have Flotation?

Forget the plug in that boat and it will be gone.

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information. I could not find any floation foam anywhere. Figured it is too heavy for foam to do it any good. Atleast I know now.

a70eliminator

Captain

It has flotation foam, guarenteed! you won't see it for it's built into the hull occupying air space below the deck and between the stringers. Flotation foam is required in all hulls of that era up to date.
Floatation foam will not keep your boat from sinking, only give it enough boyancy to keep it from going to the bottom.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I'm almost positive on this. Any boat 22ft and under has to have flotation foam, anything over its up to the manufacture. It's been a while back but i believe i read that here on this great site.