Alignment tool: OEM vs aftermarket

the man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I own a 2004 Bravo 3, a 2005 Alpha One, and a Volvo with an outdrive. I am currently working on the Bravo 3, and want to buy a good alignment tool.

The local supplier here tells me that the Merc part 91-805475A1 is better than the Sierra tool- because the Merc OEM tool has a disc on it to help it align better. I have not read one word anywhere on this forum in regard to this. $127 for the Merc vs. alot cheaper on ebay and here on this site for any other tool.

Also, on ebay some are three-in-one tools. They say "alignment, grease seal tool and gimbal bearing installer" all in one.

I just want to buy the right tool, and also do not want to miss an opportunity to buy the other tools I may need down the road. But I am a total newbie here. Whats the right tool to get? I just want to order one - the best one for the job- and move on.

Thanks

cr2k

Captain
Re: Alignment tool: OEM vs aftermarket

Get the one from eBay. You will eventually need to do a gimbal bearing.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I have the merc tool with the disc and i've never used the disc. I could be wrong here and really i'm just to lazy to look in the books at the moment but I think the disc is needed to align TRS drives, and thats it.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Mine is aftermarket... It's worked Just Fine on a multitude of drives...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Mine is borrowed - even better:D

the man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks guys.

When the "grease seal installation tool" is referred to, is this the drive shaft seal that is just aft of the universal in the drive shaft housing?

zbnutcase

Commander

No its the seal just FORWARD of the gimbal bearing.

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got one from eBay, guy called Joe and had excellent service. I got the alignment bar, the mandrel for driving the gimbal bearing and the spanner wrench for the large nut on the gearbox all for around $100. All US made, too.

I didn't bother with the seal installation mandrel because a piece of plastic pipe works just as well.