Help with a '89 mariner 150

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have some issues with my motor.
It runs good top end but its shakey and wont idle unless i give it a little gas on the hot foot.
its seems to be smoking more then normal
and when i load it on the trailer it boggs down and it will not push the boat all the way up.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with a '89 mariner 150

Sounds like you have a carb flooding or a oil tank pressure issue...

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Have some issues with my motor.
It runs good top end but its shakey and wont idle unless i give it a little gas on the hot foot.
its seems to be smoking more then normal
and when i load it on the trailer it boggs down and it will not push the boat all the way up.
Low speed stator coils are gone. Check the output at the + side of a coil with a DVA equipped multimeter, you should have 200+ volts at idle. If not replace the stator.

Or, if you feel lucky, replace the stator and see if it cures it.

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the bottom carb seems to have oil running out is this normal?

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Low speed stator coils are gone. Check the output at the + side of a coil with a DVA equipped multimeter, you should have 200+ volts at idle. If not replace the stator.

Or, if you feel lucky, replace the stator and see if it cures it.
if its not the stator what would it be

sschefer

Rear Admiral

the bottom carb seems to have oil running out is this normal?

It not abnormal for there to be some oil residue on the lower carb of V-6's it should not be running out though.

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well not running out but like blue build up in the bottom.

So it sound like a strator.

Its a little sluggis on the hole shot but not bad and once i get her planed out she runs like a scolded dog.

It just won't idle and even when i get it to idle it loads up
and boggs when loading on trailer. on smokes pretty bad at low idle

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how hard would this be to fix?
and could it be low compression?
the motor fires right up if i hold the throttle a little.
just a little worried i hope my motor is not shot.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

It's a good motor generally. You'd want to get the stator tested with DVA equipped multimeter before you go buying a new one. You have to remember, we are just going on what info you write here. Up close and personal with the motor and we might come to a totally different conclusion.

The stator test is relatively easy if you have a multi-meter and DVA. You'll be wanting to see 200+ volts at the + side of any of the coils while at idle RPM. At 1800-2000 RPM the high speed windings/coils start to take over. This is why I think it's low speed stator windings/coils.

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's a good motor generally. You'd want to get the stator tested with DVA equipped multimeter before you go buying a new one. You have to remember, we are just going on what info you write here. Up close and personal with the motor and we might come to a totally different conclusion.

The stator test is relatively easy if you have a multi-meter and DVA. You'll be wanting to see 200+ volts at the + side of any of the coils while at idle RPM. At 1800-2000 RPM the high speed windings/coils start to take over. This is why I think it's low speed stator windings/coils.
that makes since, is this a hard repair or a easy swap in n out

also would this be causing the xtra smoke?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

that makes since, is this a hard repair or a easy swap in n out

also would this be causing the xtra smoke?

If it is the stator the extra smoke is comming from unburnt oil because the plugs are not sparking correctly and it's not firing on every stroke.

Changing the stator can be intimidating because you have to pull the flywheel. You'll need a Merc or aftermarket special flywheel puller. You can find those on ebay but make sure you ask if the bolt is fine or coarse thread. You want one with a fine thread bolt or you risk splintering the crankshaft. Whatever you do, never beat on the flywheel or use any other type of puller. You can break the magnets or knock them loose. There is also a center hub that looks like you could remove it. Well you can but you shouldn't. It holds the trigger magnets and if you don't get it back in correctly your timing will be all messed up.

When you remove the old stator make some marks that will help you identify how it was mounted. When you mount the new stator put it in the same exact way. Also note which screws came out of which holes in the stator. Sometimes they're differnt lengths and the wrong screw in the wrong hole can foul the trigger.

Do not torque the flywheel down until after you've checked your intial timing and your output at one of the + leads on any coil. If you find you have a low reading at the coil then pull the flywheel back off and rotate the stator one screw hole and re-check it.

If you have a 40amp stator and it's a Merc then you can't really get it wrong. They've put stops on them and only mount in one position.

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how much would this set me back to fix this?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The cost of a new stators can be found here on iBoats in the part's section. You might be able to find a good used one on eBay. Prices vary, the 40 amp stators can be as much as double the price of the 16's or 9's. The flywheel pullers run around 40.00 on average for a good one.

You need to have some reasonable mechanical skills and a Merc Shop manual would be your best bet for guidance. 89 and back are sometimes tough to find on eBay but you can order one through Merc. 90-100 bucks depending on where you get it.

If that's all a bit overwhelming then just take it to a shop and pay the 50.00-95.00 per hour shop rate to have it troubleshot and repaired.

Sometimes I forget that when I say something is easy, it's because I have a shop full of tools and I've usually done the procedure several times. In otherwords I've made some of the mistakes and know how to avoid them... Well, sometimes anyway.:)

j_martin

Admiral

Why don't you do some testing before you spend any money? So far this string is all conjecture except the engine is missing at low speed and the bottom carb is puking.

hope it helps
John

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Why don't you do some testing before you spend any money? So far this string is all conjecture except the engine is missing at low speed and the bottom carb is puking.

hope it helps
John
John, the bottom carb isn't puking like it's flooding.. Just the norm out of #6. I agree, do the tests or have someone do the tests for you. Trigger happy bolt on fixes are rare.

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

going to have someone check it out Tuesday
thanks for the advice.

bamajoker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boat went into the shop monday, have yet to hear from him on what he found.

But from what i have been reading would the bad stator also be what would be causing my battery to drain so fast.

j_martin

Admiral

boat went into the shop monday, have yet to hear from him on what he found.

But from what i have been reading would the bad stator also be what would be causing my battery to drain so fast.

Not likely, but the shorted rectifier would cause the low speed problems, just like a bad stator. Any decent shop should find that one in about 3 minutes.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

....... At 1800-2000 RPM the high speed windings/coils start to take over.
Just a quick question here...not a hijack.

At the transition Rpm from the low speed windings to the high speed windings...is it normal for the engine to run a little rough? I've had two of these same vintage Merc/Mariner 150's and they both acted the same way...a little rough in the 1500-2000 rpm range...idled fine and ran out high rpm fine.....