what is this noise?

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys, I just picked up a 1995 Reinell RXL Cuddy with a 5.7 Mercruiser. Starts no problem idles so smooth and quiet. I put it in the water the other day for the first time and was cruising at around 20 MPH, and thought I'd pick up the speed a bit. At this point the engine sounds gorgeous, when I speed up I hear this strange noise. It's not bearing or u-joint noise, it's in the engine for sure. It's like a rattling ting noise. I had something similar with my last boat which turned out just to be a sticky lifter. What other stuff can cause noise like this? Timing chain? Needle bearing on piston??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what is this noise?

Hard to troubleshoot sounds on a forum, but it could be pre ignition (Pinging) the sound of your pistons melting down.
Is the timing set correctly? Does the advance work to specs? Do you have Thunderbolt V or Thunderbolt IV ignition? Does it have a knock sensor? Does it work?

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it only do it at a certain RPM? Does it do that when it is not in gear and you give it throttle??

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class

When it idles it's so quiet and so nice, only in the higher RPM while under way does it start to make noise. It's got a Thunderbolt IV ignition on it.