Merc 350 Black Scorpion DTS CAT - hard to start

ataft

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I'm having some troubles with my new boat. It has a brand new Black Scorpion 350 DTS CAT, with less than 20 hours on it. I am finding it hard to start at times. It always starts fine the first time, but throughout the day there will be times when I turn it off and start it again (same problem whether I start it right away or 10 minutes after having turned it off) and it will crank but not fire up. It'll take a few tries, but it'll finally get going.

This is the only problem I seem to encounter with the engine. I have not observed anything else.

I have heard that vapour lock could be a potential problem, however, I am unsure about this as the problem does not seem to change even if I have the blower on non-stop, or if it is a cool day.

I appreciate your guys' input on this!

walleye seeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Merc 350 Black Scorpion DTS CAT - hard to start

You probably have a sensor that has gone south. The mpi engines look at tons of info when it comes to starting just to name a few engine temp,throttle position,crank position ,cam position and so on any of these can give bad info to the 555 ecm causing a rich mixture on startup. Do you have a system monitor or standard gauges . If you have the smartcraft stuff usually it will send an alarm to the gauge. If not dealer will have to hook up his monitor and look for faults

ataft

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.

They hooked it up, but didn't find any faults in the test. Any other suggestions? They were saying they would need to take it out on the water and hook it up to a computer and monitor it...

If nothing showed up, what problems would one consider then?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What's the Merc serial number of your enigne?

ataft

Cadet

I don't have it on hand, I will have to post back this weekend when I can get at my boat again.

Don S

That'll work.

ataft

Cadet

Alright so here is some more information to identify my exact engine:

Engine Serial#: 1A091063
Year: July 2008
Family: 8m9xm05.7ect

I hope this helps

Don S

I misunderstood when you said new boat, that it actually was new. Most say their new boat, and it's a 1970 something.
It's still under warranty, don't mess with it, take it back to your dealer.