mercury115 brown band power trim help

richard1969

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,need help with the above power trim on my merc,the system is the type b and i guess 1985 ish and it has the 2 trim cylinders and the tilt cylinder. Please can someone tell me if the engine has to be in the water for it to function properly ie trimming down does it need the engines thrust to move it down and does it have to be at a certain rmp. The trim works fine up until it as to tilt then it struggles. Getting mixed advice about the system just wondering if anyone can help.

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mercury115 brown band power trim help

I have the same engine,the power tilt should operate whether in or out of the water,
if your boat is on a trailer you should be able to lift the motor up and lower it for use with a transom saver,
make sure your battery is fully charged,make sure there is oil in the cylinders,the motor should be trimmed all the way up when opening the oil caps because they are under pressure when the motor is in the full trim down position,be carefull opening the caps they are fragile sometimes.
check your wires to make sure they are connected good.
mike

quantumman29

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also,when the motor is down all the way(tucked in) it will initially begin to rise quickly then slow down for a bit,then rise quickly again,same thing on the way down,this is normal operating.
mike

richard1969

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.will check all the connections something i have not done. will let you Know. Richard.

richard1969

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Mike, just checked all connection are secuere but still having the same problems. think its air in the system but how can i get it out there is no bleeding nipple.

arsenalpsu

Petty Officer 1st Class

also,when the motor is down all the way(tucked in) it will initially begin to rise quickly then slow down for a bit,then rise quickly again,same thing on the way down,this is normal operating.
mike

Not sure why you think that is normal, it should be smooth up and down. If your trim makes a higher pitch noise when it goes slower you have air in your system. You need to run it up and down a few times and then open the fill cap- do that a few times and it will get the air out.

RRitt

Captain

This is the one Mercury system I have yet to catalog so please take this with a grain of salt. I have one of these systems on the bench and a stack of genuine mercury repair kits waiting so that I can catalog the parts and measure the labor hours. But that doesn't help you right now. I am only chipping in because you aren't getting any help.

Okay, first a trim cylinder should be smooth throughout its travel. Air bubbles are unlikely if it speeds up, slows down, speeds up. Air bubbles tend to get in gears as you run out of fluid and the trim stops moving shortly afterwards. There are some exceptions but they tend to be with brand new systems getting their first new fill of fluid. It seems unlikely that your system would have run dry and you not mention it.

To fill and bleed almost every trim system ever made .... just run it up and down. Every time you cycle it up check the fluid level. Eventually it will be all the way up with a full reservoir. Let it sit for an hour and all the air bubbles will rise to top. Cycle it one more time and check.

Second, when a motor slows down but still runs it is almost always corrosion. The corrosion can cause voltage loss from bad connections or internal motor friction from rust. Both will cause a motor to lose power and run slower under load.

Third, it is normal for tilt to rise more quickly than trim. Please take note where the engine lifts clear of trim posts so that you don't confuse normal operation with lifting problems. It is also normal for the trim motor to work harder on tilt than trim.

The first order of business is to get your electric motor running strong.. If you have to take off a transom clamp to get system off boat in order to replace a trim motor then maybe you want to think about not having to do it twice. I.E. - renew entire system and be done with it for another 20 yrs.

richard1969

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,thanks for all your help and advice i really do appreciate it and its a credit to this forum. you mentioned the tilt should be faster than the trim well mine is working opposite the trim comes up really quick and when it comes off the two cylinders tilting up is night mare. If i tilt up in stages about 10mins in between it goes up no problem just applying the up order for a couple off seconds,wish it was the other way round like you mention. is there some kind of limit switch built in to the power head ie relying on your revs of the engine?

RRitt

Captain

there is a stator that puts out more electricity the faster your engine spins. Trim motors are very sensitive to voltage. Just a 1volt drop can cause a 15% loss in power.

If your wiring or battery is bad then the stator output might affect trim.

richard1969

Seaman Apprentice

So basically it is best to run the the trim with the engine running.

RRitt

Captain

So basically it is best to run the the trim with the engine running.

That's not what I meant. What I meant is that your engine can have an effect if your wiring is messed up. If your wiring and battery are good then the engine running should not make any difference.

richard1969

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,just cleaned all contacts using a scotch bright cloth and a little contact cleaner and the differnce it as made to hereing the pump stronger is imense. will work on this from now and hopefully when i go out next weekend i will have my trim working properly. Thank you. Richard.