im shocked at this bass bait

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok guys im wanting to see if anyone else has ever witnessed this. i have been fishing since i was probably 10 years old. a buddy of mine weeks ago told me that him and his uncle had been fishing a private pond. his uncle had told him he was going to cut up a blue gill to use as bass bait. not catfish but large mouth bass bait. he told him he was crazy. well behold there are some big bass and the uncle was producing them using this method. when i was told this i figured it to be a fish story. well tonight i went to the private pond for the first time with my buddy. he caught probably 8 five pounders and 3 of them came from the head or mid section of a cut up blue gill. the rest from carolina lizards. i am just amazed. never have i seen or would of believed this. i told him they were called bass cats.

MaddysDaddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: im shocked at this bass bait

i have caught big bass on live bluegill and pumpkinseed but never cutbait
did you jig it or just let it sit?

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

i only caught one on a crank bait and a cat on the cut bait. but he caught his just as you would fishing for cats. on the bottom with a one oz sinker. no jigging. amazing to me. now he told me he had never done this untill his uncle showed him this 2 weeks ago. now he is doing it consistantly.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Why are you so surprised? Google "chunking fishing" one time

We do a lot of live lining, free swiming live fish hooked thrugh the nostrails, but we also do a lot of "chunking" (Striped) Bass. Very effective on just about any gamefish

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive heard of it with stripes but just not a large mouth bass in ponds or a big lake

gonefishie

Commander

I too have caught them with small live bluegill but never a dead one much less a cut one. I guess in a pond it's different. The sight and smell of a fluttering piece of meat would trigger them. Here's a crazy one for you. I have caught several bass with a piece of hot dog while catfishing in a pond.

CATransplant

Admiral

Largemouth bass are stupid. If it looks like food, or smells like food and it ends up in front of their nose, they'll eat it, as long as their belly isn't full already. Heck, they'll eat things that don't even look OR smell like food.

Dumb as stumps, largemouth bass are. The hardest part is figuring out where they are. Once you do that, you just feed 'em something and haul 'em in. It's pretty much the same for most fish, really.

All that money spent to catch bass makes me laugh. And they aren't even very good to eat, either. I'll give you a tip that will catch any bass near you. Hook a big nightcrawler on a hook and hang it from a bobber somewhere near a largemouth. I guarandamntee he or she'll eat it. Dumb as a bag of hammers with scales.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :D

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Largemouth bass are stupid. If it looks like food, or smells like food and it ends up in front of their nose, they'll eat it, as long as their belly isn't full already. Heck, they'll eat things that don't even look OR smell like food.

:D
I can tell you they like mulberrys too. We have a big mulberry tree overhanging the pond out back. Put a mulberry on a weightless hook and throw it out and let it float under the tree. Usally doesn't take long.

CATransplant

Admiral

Carp like mulberries, too. In fact, I have a fly that looks just like a mulberry. Fun to catch a big carp on a flyrod. :D

MaddysDaddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this time of year the bass may be spwaning in your area, if you thor anything in there nest they wil attack it

MaddysDaddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cut bait nightcrawler timex watch it dont matter

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

being a private pond with many large bass and catfish as well, a scenario (you gotta eat what you can when you can?)

ive noticed here that bass will pass on a dead minnow and take the swimmer.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have noticed that bass behave much different in a pond than they do in a larger body of water. like someone else said... basically its just about finding where the fish are located. once you find them, they will usually eat.

i have caught bass while catfishing on the bottom before. i have caught them on bread, catfish stink bait, etc

scipper77

Commander

I have found that heavily pressured Bass are pretty smart. If your presentation isn't spot on they will not take the bait.

In a pond they are pretty much as described. Usually the weeds grow in so thick that finding a good presentation is the challenge.

I'd think the problem with getting bass on cut bait is that everything else will pick at the bait before the bass do.