Dear Internet...please critique my wiring diagram

tuser

Cadet
I just bought a 1993 Center Console boat, and the wiring is a mess. Each electronic component is hard wired to the battery. Probably done one at a time over the years. I want to rewire, and here is what I am thinking. Please tell me what you think.

This design is based on a popular diagram that I found on this board.

Couple of specific questions...what gauge wire should I run to fuse block? Also, should the Nav light switch be run through master switch?

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Wiring Diagram.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dear Internet...please critique my wiring diagram

Need a circuit breaker between the output of the battery switch and the ignition/master switch. Also, really no need for that master switch since you have a battery switch.

I would run at least 10 gauge or possibly 8 gauge wire to the fuse block but that really depends on your total load you are expecting. Size the circuit breaker according to wire size.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

As long as you understand that your diagram clearly shows fused/breaker connections at your accessory terminal block, you should be fine with this. There's several connection blocks out there that you can use that could be mounted cleanly that incorporate fuses and or circuit breakers. Also as Bruce said, a master circuit breaker should be the first level of protection. I'd bring it to the terminal block in at least 8 ga. stranded wire and do the rest with a 16 ga stranded for the accessories. The bilge pump and blower, being the highest draw I'd recommend 12 ga. And yes wire the nav lights through the switch.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice diagram:), I am learning this stuff myself and I appreciate you posting the image.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree with above but also think the 3 amps is too small for the bilge pump. For me I would not use less than 16 or 18 guage wire even on the smallest bilge pump. Smallest fuse I would use is twice its rated draw. So if it draws 2.5 amps I would use a 5 amp. Most bilge pumps will tell you the normal draw and recogmended fuse size.

tuser

Cadet

Thank you for the replies. I will make these changes and re-post for the benefit of others who may use this in the future.

What type of circuit breaker would you recommend for the line from the battery cable? Links to specific products would be appreciated.

Good point about "no need for the master because I have a battery switch". I will make this change as well.

For the fuse block, I am looking at the Blue Sea ST Blade Fuse Block.

http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/126

This block is considerably more expensive than the glass fuse blocks, but from what I have heard, the blade fuses are more appropriate for marine applications. However, I don't like to waste money...so if you think I can use something less expensive, please speak up.

tuser

Cadet

...updated diagram.

I created this drawing in Visio. If anybody would like the source file, I would be happy to share. I would have included it, but I wasn't able to figure out how to attach a Visio (.vsd) file.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Wiring Diagram.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your wiring to the ignition switch and start solenoid will not be necessary. Those are part of the engine harness for your particular motor. The engine harness also contains the instrument connections.

tuser

Cadet

One more question...Can I attach more than one device to a single terminal on my fuse block? I just realized that I had not included my power socket and live well in my previous drawing. Adding these two devices will put me past the 6 terminals on the fuse block I was planning to use. I know that there are 12 terminal blocks out there, but it seems to be overkill for my little boat.

tuser

Cadet

Interesting Don S. Please look at this new diagram and tell me if this is what you mean.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Wiring Diagram.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 0

Maybe you feel it's understood but you need power and ground going the engine also. Ground would be directly to the battery and positive would come from between the main switch and the breaker. Also the ground for the gauges may have to go back to the negative bus if the negative is not bundled with the harness.

tuser

Cadet

Maybe you feel it's understood but you need power and ground going the engine also. Ground would be directly to the battery and positive would come from between the main switch and the breaker. Also the ground for the gauges may have to go back to the negative bus if the negative is not bundled with the harness.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted the new diagram. I corrected it on my drawing after I posted it. I hesitated to post it again, because I thought that replying to my own topic too much might cause me to grow hair on my palms.:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One other minor problem. Hook up a seperate switch for the inst panel lights. That way you can shut them off at night if they are hurting your night vision without shutting off your nav lights.

roughshot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the wire diagram. I think it will help me.
What size breaker did you end up using?