volvo penta engine question

jacob callum

Cadet
i have a b20 engine with a 270 leg would like to know if anyone has or knows what diesel engines would fit this leg.
thank you

captmello

Captain
Re: volvo penta engine question

those outdrive were used on many diesels. What are you trying to do?

jacob callum

Cadet

i am new to boating this is my first one and the engine i have is not in good shape so i thought for cost of running it would be better to change it over to diesel.
but saying that if the petrol ones are better then i would stay with that and get another engine as i say i am very new to this and looking for all the help and advise i can get
thank you

captmello

Captain

First you need to identify the engine model. Do you know the AQXXX number for your engine? How about the year? How many carbs?

jacob callum

Cadet

all i know is the b20 bit thats all i can find on the engine and it has 2 carbs

captmello

Captain

B20 refers to the volvo block. Some are more common than others. The B20 is older I believe.

If you can post some pics of the engine from a couple sides we can probably identify what you have. Once we can do that, you can start trying to repower. If you're really interested in going diesel, you should look for a complete drivetrain, not just an engine since your exhaust, outdrive gear ratio, etc., may be wrong. It's usually more practical to replace what is there with the same. Do you even know what year the boat is???

jacob callum

Cadet

ok please do not laugh to much but i know nothing about boats but really wanted to start sea fishing so looked on ebay and brought this one.
ok trying to upload photo's but keeps telling me they are to big do you know how to do this or do you have a email address or something like that i could send them to
thank you

captmello

Captain

The best way to do photos is to upload them to a site like Photobucket.com and then you link the pics to your post. It free and easy.

There is better explanation on posting pics in the nonboating and techincal forum of Iboats. If your not good at computers, you can PM (private message) me with your email address.

If your going to get this boat working, You'll want to be able to post pics.

jacob callum

Cadet

thank you for all your help with this.
the boat does work in a way i had it out for 2 hours and the oil goes white and i lost 4 litres of oil in that time as well so was not sure weather to try and get it fixed or get a 2nd hand engine or as said before change over to deisel.
someone has siad that there think it is the 2.1l and about 1975ish but they are not that sure
Boat

(let me know if i have done this right)
thank you

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

There is a nameplate just forward and above the starter. The engine is most likely an AQ130 as that's what the B20 blocks were. I don't know anything about diesels but you can change over to a newer overhead cam 4 cylinder. You'll need to change the exhaust pipe but most everything else is similar.

The cost to rebuild either one is going to be about the same but it'll probably cost less to go with an OHC engine. You're at a point where you need to decide how much you like that hull. By the time you're through, it'll be easy to have 1500 to 2k in another engine and the changeover. I know that sounds rough but that's the way it is. Might be time to cut your losses and start looking at another boat.

captmello

Captain

Lady Jessica, is a cool lookin' boat. PP40 makes the point we all must decide at one point or another if it's worth fixing. One thing to check on your motor before anything is the oil cooler. Its the tube like part under the oil filter. If that is bad, it will start mixing oil with water.

And yes, It looks to be an AQ130 like PP40 said. They are fine engines but old and getting tougher to find parts for. His suggestion to go with an OHC volvo is probably the way to go if you choose to repower. But again you'd need the entire engine and exhaust. examples of the OHC engines are AQ125, AQ145, AQ131, AQ151, AQ171. These are all 4 cylinder gas (petrol as you call it) engines that may work in your boat. The diesel motors are not very common in the states.

jacob callum

Cadet

thank you for all your help as i am going to be respraying her in a few weeks i think i will spend the money on her just need to decide weather to get a newer engine or have this one looked at

captmello

Captain

It may be worth checking the oil cooler by pressure testing the cooling system. Water in the oil usually means a cracked block on boats motors. you can't repair a cracked block.

jacob callum

Cadet

will do that.
im thinking more likely i will just get a newer engine
my head is on colours for her at the moment i know thats not really important with the engine problem but hey lol

captmello

Captain

Good luck to you. Let us know what you end up doing.:)