Outdrive interchangeability for Merc

micapow

Cadet
I had confusion on last post. My questions is this. I have a 260 hp v8 with what I believe to be a Alpha 1. My boat is a 1985 Century Meridien '27 Cabincruiser. I know I don't have the eyelet on top of outdrive. I am looking at the following outdrives: 233, 888, and Alpha 1(considerably more expensive) and they are all used. I am trying to keep my expenses down. Which of those outdrives will work for my boat? Thanks for any and all help, it is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Outdrive interchangeability for Merc

Don't know what prices you ar looking at for the used units, but do you know you can buy a brand new aftermarket drive for less than $1,300? If you buy used you will need to make sure the gear ratio is correct.

zbnutcase

Commander

Stick with the Alpha, might wanna look at SEI drives. And remember, you already own a used drive. Buyer be VERY aware! Frankly I wouldn't buy any used drive if I can't test drive it first.

micapow

Cadet

Appreciate the responses so far. I too think the Alpha would be best choice. But I am very curious if the other two(233 and 888) would still work? I am also not familiar with what SEI is? Thanks guys.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

they will both bolt on and run but may not hold up to the power of the 260. that is the reason merc redesinged the one and came out with the alpha. that being said. the 233 has a 1.32:1 upper gear set that will hold up better than the 1.5:1 in the 888.

walleye seeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sei is a aftermarket company that builds great outdrives. that bolt right up and are half the price of merc. usually about the same you pay for used.

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would just go with a sei drive...stern drive enginering. Be very leary of used and at least look at condition of oil and preferably preassure check it as well as install new water pump. Good luck!