Ready to set my boat on fire - HELP

Dingopointer

Cadet
I have had a problem with the primer ball collapsing on my boat. It happens randomly - just the ball collapces like there is an obstruction in the fuel feed. I have so far done the following:

• Replaced: tube that goes into the tank, anti-syphon valve, fuel line, water filter (and the housing for it), primer ball. None of this fixed the problem.
  • Pumped the tank and inspected it inside: clean plastic tank - no chunks.
  • Tried to open the gas cap when driving boat (to make sure that the tank ventilation is not clogged)
  • Kicked the boat and hurt myself.

When I connect the same primer ball hose to the auxillary tank - no problems once or ever. This is getting insane. There is nothing else left to replace in the fuel line assembly. What can I do??????????

GatorMike

Ensign
Re: Ready to set my boat on fire - HELP

I don't know but don't do what a buddy of mine did.

A few years back when hurricane Charley was headed our way he wanted his boat destroyed so he could collect insurance. He had this huge oak tree in his yard and moved his boat under the largest limb of the tree. Then he moved his pickup truck to where his boat usually sits. The tree fell on his truck.

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You made chuckle with "kicked the boat and hurt myself". I'm sure all of us have tried that mechanical fix to some device at least once in our lives. I day dream of me alone in a field of daisy's with a hammer and my PC. One day....

Wish I could help you but i'm not qualified. Good luck, you'll find the problem I'm sure with some help from people here.

CATransplant

Admiral

If you're truly ready to set your boat on fire, I can help. Start with about five gallons of premix fuel. Spread it evenly underneath the boat, being careful to put the boat somewhere that will keep the fire from spreading.

Using a wooden kitchen match, stand well away from the boat and strike the match, then toss it under the boat quickly. I can pretty much guarantee the boat will burn well. :eek:

nlain

Commander

There is something wrong with the tank, you state that you put the same primer ball and line on the aux tank and no problems, go get a new tank. I know you have done all the stuff you mentioned, but has to be something wrong with tank some how. Oh by the way, it is not the boats fault so do not burn it. :D Sorry just had to.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Actually, I did fix my rig by kicking it once. It was on the boat ramp. The motor wasn't getting any power and consequently wouldn't turn over. After the requisite cursing and fiddling with stuff I made a fool of myself and kicked the throttle. That moved it out of reverse and into neutral, after which the motor started right up:redface:!

joebob14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would have to agrea with nlain, If everything works fine on the auxilarey tank and has problems when you swich to the main tank it sounds like you pretty well answered your own question. Have you tried the main tank since pumpig it out?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Could it be as simple as the vent in the original tank not drawing air? That would make the line collapse quickly once there's a negative pressure in there.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know but don't do what a buddy of mine did.

A few years back when hurricane Charley was headed our way he wanted his boat destroyed so he could collect insurance. He had this huge oak tree in his yard and moved his boat under the largest limb of the tree. Then he moved his pickup truck to where his boat usually sits. The tree fell on his truck.

Now, that was funny. Thanks for the chuckle!

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

If you're truly ready to set your boat on fire, I can help. Start with about five gallons of premix fuel. Spread it evenly underneath the boat, being careful to put the boat somewhere that will keep the fire from spreading.

Using a wooden kitchen match, stand well away from the boat and strike the match, then toss it under the boat quickly. I can pretty much guarantee the boat will burn well. :eek:

I'd pour half or more of the can on top of and inside the boat. A bit underneath on the ground should be all it takes to start the fire. You want a complete burn to minimize the cleanup afterwards.

Bluegills Unlimited

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Actually, I did fix my rig by kicking it once. It was on the boat ramp. The motor wasn't getting any power and consequently wouldn't turn over. After the requisite cursing and fiddling with stuff I made a fool of myself and kicked the throttle. That moved it out of reverse and into neutral, after which the motor started right up:redface:!

Been there...

chris75h

Seaman

I think it is the vent also. I would take the vent loose at the tank and try to blow some air through it. Make sure you blow it to the back of the boat and not into the tank. Maybe a kid stuck something up there or maybe a dirtdobber got up there. Good luck.

Chris

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Removing the gas cap should have fixed it if it is the vent....but it is worth another look at it.

Any chance that it only happens when the tank is full and the boat is at an angle so maybe the vent is covered with gas?

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Plastic tank?

There is a check valve on the fitting on top of the tank. Gas line fitting should open it when installed by pushing on the pin.
Sometimes these pins get worn short, bent, or the gasline fitting can be buggered.
Easy cheap fix, replace both fittings.

First things first though, Take the fitting off the motor end and see if you can blow compressed air into the tank from the hose. Couldbe a clogged pickup tube inside the tank too.

I'm assuming this actual setup worked on this motor before? Like the fittings are correctly matted with style/type at the tank? 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 all look alike, but they're not. Some combos may work, others not.

Dingopointer

Cadet

I have literally tried everything.

pickup tube is new. Fitting that screws into the tank above pickup tube is new. anti-syphon valve is new. fuel line is new. Separator filter is new. ball is new. Everything is replaced with brand new items. Tank was pumped and it is clean. This obstruction happens even with fuel filling cap opened so it can not be the vent issue. Unfortunatly the next approach will be to cut the fiberglass floor to get to the tank because the damn boat does not have a large hatch to replace the tank. I can not even describe how frustrating this thing is.

Especially because after replacing everything - it worked well.. for a while - just to give me hope. So me and 2 buddies of mine went fishing and the damn thing did this again 20 miles from the ramp at sunset.

By the way this specifically happens when the boat goes faster than idle. It can idle all day long... Which i found out for 4 hours idling back to port. At least I did not get towed.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Might sound dumb, but are the vent valves installed backwards? Dont even know if this is possible lol...

The part that confuses me is that it doesnt work when the gas cap is off...

Do you have any type of anti-siphon device installed? That may not allow it to vent when the cap is off...(I know I'm reaching here...:confused:)

archangelnot

Seaman Apprentice

Have you replaced the gas hose itself between the tank and the bulb?

If your tank is under the floor, the hose could be partically crimped or collapsed against a stringer or something under the floor.

nlain

Commander

Grasp at another straw. Is it possible that the fuel pump is trying to draw more fuel through the line, pickup tube, fittings and ball than it can pass, if so that would be what is happening. In other words, do you have the small lines and accessories when you need the large size. You say it is fine at idle, low vacuum on the lines and fittings, when off idle you have high vacuum on the lines and fittings, if the gas cannot flow thru fast enough then it will collapse. I know you bought all new stuff but go double check the exact sizes of everything and make sure it matches what the engine needs.