1997 force 50hp exhaust

pamgirl1

Recruit
we have a 1997 force 50 Hp had about 2600.00 worth of work done last summer. took it out this year and it will not run. Power goes up and down or fast and slow. when cover is off it runs better can't find where exhaust is coming from this is beginning to be a pain. Had plates and gaskets replaced last yr. It's like it is suffacating

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 force 50hp exhaust

It takes in air from 2 places(I believe)Under the bottom cowl.And possibly the top.Make sure they are clear.
Start it and spray WD-40 in the carb to make it smoke.Then see where it's comming from.It's possible the bottom exhaust gasket is leaking.J

pamgirl1

Recruit

thanks we'll try this heavens we've tried everything did this before we took it to shop last summer. now again

pamgirl1

Recruit

the exhaust seems to come from the plate area. Had gaskets and new bolts put on last yr. for the same issue. Won't run with cover on and not much better with it off.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So your saying with the cowl on the outboard it will not run? The only way that would effect it was if the vet hole in the cowl was clogged up. And i mean it would really need to be sealed pretty good to not give the outboard enough air not to run. I think your problem might be something else.

When you say exhaust is coming from an area...the only exhaust should be from the backside of the outboard leg with a little water spurt in there too, and from just behind the prop. Other than that you will not see exhaust at all.

At least its that way on older 50 hp engines. I cant not see why on earth anyone designer would ever think to exhaust burnt fuel into the cowl area. that simply makes no sense.

pamgirl1

Recruit

Thanks Banditz I'm saying ours is coming out between the engine and the tail shaft.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so right below the cowl it is venting then. Well, I would say its better off for you to find another mech..not the one who did the work last year, or if interested, try getting some of your money back from last year. Cause the only thing I can think of is a blown head gasket...or worse. Maybe even a cracked head. Either way, I would not spend a whole lot on that motor. Heres the current value and the used value...

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...=20008&d=17000800041&y=1997&ml=F&gc=MR&gtc=OB

Now, that being said its hard to really get the correct value of a used outboard, but you paying what you did last year, the guy really saw you coming and well...he got ya pretty good. You could have bought a good uesed fourstoke for that kinda money. You may think of just replacing that outboard if he tells you its a goner...Good luck anyway and let us know what you find out.

And please have one check it out, dont take what I say for as truth, I could be wrong...never know. may be something easy. Just telling you what i know thats all.