1997 Merc. 150 EFI Help

Greensleeves

Cadet
Re: 1997 Merc. 150 EFI Help

Thank you I will try that tomorrow, it has been soaking since saturday so hopefully it will break free. I ordered a new one today, but that would be great if I could use the old one.

Greensleeves

Cadet

I couldn't free up the old pump, so I put my new one in and she fired right up:D:D I just need to replace the impeller, is it a hard job? I have the kit from merc. do I need anything else? gaskets for the bottom end or does it just seal back up when you bolt it back together? I'll do some searching on the forum, but some advice would be helpful.
Thanks, Bryan

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Glad you got it running.

Did you get an impeller KIT? or a pump kit?

Either one will have the gasket you need.

Shift the motor into Reverse and leave it there.

Remove the bolts holding the LU on, remember there is one under the A/V plate above the prop and another one hidden under the trim tab, remove the trim tab to get to it.

Also remember where the trim tab is set, you will want to return it to the same angle.

Drop the unit and service the water pump. Make sure the key stays in place on the shaft with a small spot of grease, as you slide the impeller over it.

Reinstalling the unit you may need to turn the prop to align the splined shaft with the crankshaft splines.

Just be SURE as you are raising the LU that the water transfer tube slides into the water pump and that the splined shift shaft slides together.

Once up and you have a bolt in it, Double check that it shifts correctly, finish bolting it together.

Start it up on the muffs and check for water flow.

Last edited:

roozter2550

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wish I had seen this thread earlier...

What was the part number on the pump?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=379004

Just an FYI for you guys...

pulled the trigger and bought a high pressure pump on ebay from Speed & Custom Marine in Quincy, FL.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0301318779&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

$350 plus taxes and shipping.
Pump just came in today. Hopefully, I'll install it this weekend and update on this issue.

Just wanted to let you guys know that there are pumps out there for alot less than merc is charging for them.
I found them going from $350 to $520

By the way, same pump in the yami ox66 motor vst tank

just finished replacing the high pressure pump...

reconnected the batteries, filled the vst with 50:1 premix thru the fitting which comes from the filter/pulse pump.

check over all connections and fired up.

fingers crossed as I watched the pressure gauge....

...fuel pressure stayed steady at 36psi

kept on running and running.

now on to other problems:(

The pump for mine is #8090

Greensleeves

Cadet

wow I should have searched more for the pump, I paid $550 for the same pump. I got the impeller on and its all good, time to take it out and test it on the water. Thank you all for the help I'll let you guys know how it runs on the water.