'78 6hp dies when throttled

jtw29

Cadet
I have a 1978 6hp Evinrude that I've been nursing back to health. My latest challenge is to find out why it idles great but sputters and dies when I advance the throttle in neutral. Originally this wouldn't even start but now I've rebuilt the carb with a rebuild kit and it starts up and idles great but won't let me throttle it at all. It just bogs down and dies. I'm hoping that this is just a sync and link issue. Interestingly, if I put it in gear, and advance the throttle, it seems to be ok but I can't really test it too far because I've just got it in a water-filled trash can. If I try throttling up in gear, I'd be all wet along with my garage. Any suggestions here would be great!

AlTn

Commander
Re: '78 6hp dies when throttled

link and sync the carb to timing by having the carb roller on the embossed arrow of the timing cam while the twist grip is on start.The throttle plate should just begin to open...When the handle is in the wot position...the throttle plate should be perfectly horizontal.

jtw29

Cadet

I adjusted the roller to just barely start opening the throttle at the marks on the timing cam. I think it's set right. Something else that might be a factor is that the low speed needle has to be adjusted really lean for the motor to start. Once it's started, I can set it richer as I increase the throttle. However, it still dies once I get to a certain point, maybe half throttle. To me it seems like it is flooding. After it dies, I have to back the throttle all the way out to the "slow" position, crank it a bunch of times to clear out the flooded fuel, and then put it back on "start" and it fires right up with one pull. Does this make sense to anyone else?

AlTn

Commander

if you haven't already done so, I'd suggest you read all of the Top Secret files that pertain to your motor, i.e. carb setting, flywheel removal, point setting,etc. More specifically, it sounds as though your float level , or needle and seat closure are a little off. I'd suggest you pull the carb again and check that it is assembled properly and you can't blow into through the fuel inlet when the carb is inverted,but you can when it is right side up.For what it's worth, I recently had to reuse the original cork float as I could never get it to start with the plastic float that came with the omc kit.