5.7 Marine vs 5.7 Long Block Price

Ski1491

Seaman
(1999 Four Winns Candia 5.0 Volvo)
I've read all the past posts regarding replacing a 5.0 with a 5.7 truck engine of the same vintage so I started looking for a long block to purchase. As an average I found a marine rebuilt 5.7 long block would run around $2400 and the same year long block truck motor (vortex heads) will be around $1500 from the same vendor. Lots of claims that the marine motor will get better fuel economy and more horsepower, got me a bit skeptical and wanted to hear some of your views before I make a final decision. Also seen a few engines offered reverse rotation, any info on what boats/power trains required them? I understand I will need to replace the freeze plugs and possibly the head gasket if I go with the truck motor, not a big deal when looking at the price difference. Is the truck cam a good match or do I need to replace it with a marine cam if I purchase the truck engine. Appreciate any advice and success stories you might have regarding this swap.

Ski1491

Seaman
Re: 5.7 Marine vs 5.7 Long Block Price

Gary,

My boat is a 1999, will the 5.7 they offer match up. The site shows the 5.7 compatable through 1996. Appreciate the help and the lead to the site, great prices!

Ski