Merc audio warning system not working and engine won't crank

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Merc audio warning system not working and engine won't crank

Yeah good idea to identify which part of the fuse block it is. I was looking for a diagram that correlates the schematic to the actual fuse locations in the boat but your idea is much simpler. ;) Checking now...

No 15A fuses so I pulled both the two top ones which were both 10A and guess what? One of them is blown. I'll replace with a 15A tomorrow and I should be in business.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Are you downloading and looking at these links I am posting for you?

Downloading, saving, and even printing! I printed out the wiring diagram in the Bayliner manual and was checking off what worked, what didn't and where I did and didn't have power today. Not sure why but the wire colors on my boats fuse block don't match the diagram. Could these be dealer installed and that's why the discrepancy in colors exist? Anyway I have no idea who or when that fuse got a 10A in it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They may not be in the same exact location, in the diagram it's done more for neatness than exact location. But you probably do have those wire colors. They are marine industry standard for the different jobs they do.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

I had a 10A fuse so i replaced it and guess what? The radio works! Glad the important stuff is fixed. Something is not right because there are only 9 fuses installed on my fuse block and one is the spare. The diagram shows 10 including the spare. On my boat there is an empty spot with no fuse and no wire connected to the fuse block. Like I said earlier, none of these are 15A fuses. I verified that there were two 10A running my two power outlets by disconnecting the fuse with something plugged in the outlets. I also verified the horn is on a 10A by pulling the fuse and then the horn no longer worked. I will pick up tomorrow and verify the blower, nav lights, and bilge.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

They may not be in the same exact location, in the diagram it's done more for neatness than exact location. But you probably do have those wire colors. They are marine industry standard for the different jobs they do.

Under the dash the colors match but on the fuse block none of them match I don't think. I know for sure there isn't a red/purple like there is on the back of the ignition switch.

Don S

Not sure what to tell you. IF you have power to the main engine harness plug, but not to the ignition switch, then you have a problem in the wiring between the harness plug and the switch. Where, I don't have a clue. Only so much I can do from a keyboard.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I don't know either. I just can't understand why my fuse block has 9 fuses and 8 wires hooked up to it (none of them 15A) and the wiring diagram shows 10 fuses and 9 wires with one 15A. Tomorrow is a new day...

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32201

If you haven't given up on me yet Don S, I was doing some researching about this mysterious 15A fuse and I seem to have found out that on some Bayliners it isn't under the dash or on the helm fuse block but in the engine bay. I'll be checking around in mine for one tomorrow.

Don S

Here is the problem with boats. and I run into it all the time.
They are not put together like cars. They are not exact one from the other.
What I do when I run into a problem like this is first verify I have power to the plug on the engine(#6 terminal in your case). Then the fun part. Find the matching side on the boat side (#6 terminal and whatever color the boat manufacture made it) and trace it forward to the switch. If it doesn't go, then you look around at anything else that may have a fuse. If you don't have power to the ignition switch from the engine harness, then Bayliner screwed it up. All boat manufacturers seem to have their own way of doing things.
And people wonder why Marine shops charge so much and take so long finding problems.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Here is the problem with boats. and I run into it all the time.
They are not put together like cars. They are not exact one from the other.
What I do when I run into a problem like this is first verify I have power to the plug on the engine(#6 terminal in your case). Then the fun part. Find the matching side on the boat side (#6 terminal and whatever color the boat manufacture made it) and trace it forward to the switch. If it doesn't go, then you look around at anything else that may have a fuse. If you don't have power to the ignition switch from the engine harness, then Bayliner screwed it up. All boat manufacturers seem to have their own way of doing things.
And people wonder why Marine shops charge so much and take so long finding problems.

I also just noticed a note on that diagram that says fuses are installed by dealers...that explains the wire colors. I will trace that wire off of pin 6 tomorrow and note the color for identification and finding that 15A fuse. I'm sure that is the problem.

I'm not sure how to convey my heartfelt appreciation for your efforts today. You helped a total stranger and complete noob to this board and I appreciate it immensely!!!

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

New day so I rechecked all my readings from yesterday and I do have power to ignition switch and across it when I turn key. Had battery tested under load and its strong. Got power on all the same places on the engine still. I'm beginning to think its the neutral switch?

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Using adult sticky troubleshooting guide I went back to solenoid relay and figured out I have no ground. Test light is on at both C and A but when I use D as a ground for test light, it wont light anymore.

Now anyone have any idea where that wire is grounded on the boat? I don't wanna cut open the harnesses to trace it if I don't have to.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone know the whereabouts of this ground and how/where it is routed?

Don S

Trace it out, it eventually has to be grounded to the block.

Did you have the battery out of the boat? If so, are you sure you got all the grounds back on it?

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

I never had it out of the boat. I'm wondering if the shop that winterized it for me (was deploying so wasn't home to do it myself) disconnected something. Like is said in the very beginning, the boat ran when they winterized it and I haven't touched it since I got it back until yesterday when I went to de-winterize it.

Don S...on that start/slave relay I was messing around looking for where the black or D (ground) wire was going and I don't know why I did this, but when I didn't have a ground there I checked it for power and I have 12vdc there....Test light lit up bright!

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Trace it out, it eventually has to be grounded to the block.

Did you have the battery out of the boat? If so, are you sure you got all the grounds back on it?

My battery has two wires on the neg. terminal. One very large yellowish cable (labeled batt. neg. terminal) that is grounded on the terminal block directly overhead and a much smaller black wire that is coming out of the engine bay I think.

Don S

Go to the engine wiring diagram and look at terminal #28 see if it has continuity to ground..

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Go to the engine wiring diagram and look at terminal #28 see if it has continuity to ground..

You mean on the main (round) engine harness? I'll check it in the morning. Looking at the diagram now to see where you are going with this... ;)
Looks like all the grounds on the engine tie in on that S104 block. I'd love to find that sucker.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

I just re-read what you wrote...sorry. I did check that today. When I didn't get the light on my test light with it grounded on that wire and the probe in A, I went and got my DVM and tested from pin D to ground and it is open. Thats why I started trying to trace out where that black wire is running but it runs off into a tubed/taped bundle and I ran out of time to mess with searching more.

Don S

It's a soldered together bunch of wires all wrapped up.
Use an OHM meter. One lead in the terminal of 28 and the other on the ground stud on the back of the engine.