Oil Alarm 1995 Mariner 150hp Magnum III

Ronco

Cadet
Both tanks full , no leaks, caps tight,hoses appear to be in good order...?????

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Oil Alarm 1995 Mariner 150hp Magnum III

Welcome to iboats!!!

Check the gear for the oil pump....it is small and plastic and I have had them go before on 150 mariner's....... Very important or you will toast that engine. (I learned the hard way) I had the same motor......

j_martin

Admiral

WAIT
Before you do anything, mix enough oil with the fuel in the tank to bring it up to 50:1. Then troubleshoot the oil alert. If it's controls and it's still oiling, it'll be a little rich. If the oil pump is actually failing, you will save the powerhead.

There are several tests to do before you start pulling off the pump. It's easier to test for rotation electrically. It's all in the OEM maintenance manual for that engine.

It's a system, and if you troubleshoot systematically, you will buy and install one part to repair it. If you have lots of money, skip the diagnostics and throw parts at it.

hope it helps
John

Ronco

Cadet

WAIT
Before you do anything, mix enough oil with the fuel in the tank to bring it up to 50:1. Then troubleshoot the oil alert. If it's controls and it's still oiling, it'll be a little rich. If the oil pump is actually failing, you will save the powerhead.

There are several tests to do before you start pulling off the pump. It's easier to test for rotation electrically. It's all in the OEM maintenance manual for that engine.

It's a system, and if you troubleshoot systematically, you will buy and install one part to repair it. If you have lots of money, skip the diagnostics and throw parts at it.

hope it helps
John
Thanks for the replies...I found my book will setup a 50:1 tank and trouble shoot this baby...Ron

Ronco

Cadet

Test results

1. Mixed up a tank 50:1 gas/oil, disconnected link rod to oil inj pump. per manual it checks out at approx 17cc in 3min..

2.check for correct voltage from coil approx 10.5vdc

3. oil level sensor reads open with full oil tank

4. motion sensor (at oil injection pump) 1st check for 12v is ok, then output voltage to sensor peaks at 5v then drops to less than 1 volt while rotating flywheel per manual sec 8A-12

Everything seems to checkout, alarm is still sounding the intermittent "Beep" looking like a bad Warning module????? I'll checkout the price/avail of this part...

j_martin

Admiral

Test results

1. Mixed up a tank 50:1 gas/oil, disconnected link rod to oil inj pump. per manual it checks out at approx 17cc in 3min..

2.check for correct voltage from coil approx 10.5vdc

3. oil level sensor reads open with full oil tank

4. motion sensor (at oil injection pump) 1st check for 12v is ok, then output voltage to sensor peaks at 5v then drops to less than 1 volt while rotating flywheel per manual sec 8A-12

Everything seems to checkout, alarm is still sounding the intermittent "Beep" looking like a bad Warning module????? I'll checkout the price/avail of this part...

I think you're right.

Used ones are around. Some people just insist on taking them off. I got my last one given to me.

Some different modules will work Anything off a carb, or early efi motor will work. Some connections are colored different, and you may have to cut and splice, but it's worth it.

Diff in modules, sometimes just terminations and wire length, efi has an extra wire tapped off the oil level switch that goes to the water separator.

hope it helps
John

Ronco

Cadet

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Ronco

Cadet

I've been looking around for an alarm module can't find anything, are there any companies that build/ sell these??

subscribed

subscribed

New 95 Glastron 150 owner... I just found this useful thread... thanks guys, especially J Martin, you seem to be the most knowledgeable person I have come across specific to my boat :)

I have some (hopefully) related questions I would like to ask at the risk of hijacking the thread...

The previous owner said there is an issues with the oil pump and rather than using it, to mix the oil at 50:1 and put up with the beep until I can get it fixed, so I have been doing that. Oil pump aside I am now getting a beep that get faster the more I increase the throttle; is there a manual that describes the beeps? The engine had a good stream of water and is smoking a little blue smoke but I am still not comfortable taking the boat out with the alarm disconnected?

Any help would be appreciated guys... the weekend is coming :cool:

Ronco, do you know where I can find a manual?

Dave
Langley, BC

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: subscribed

Re: subscribed

Your best bet is to start a new thread for your own issues.

The Oil alarm does seem to get faster when you increase the throttle more and more.