1995 4.3 alpha 1 steering problems

amkmxz

Recruit
1995 4.3 alpha 1.
Steering on the boat is the same weather its running or not.
I started out by removing the cable from the actuater. Cable was free in the actuater. Steering cable moves freely using steering wheel while removed. Started boat and operated actuater and w/out cable hooked ps works great.
Actuater seems very stiff but does return to center. Reinstalled cable to actuater and steering still stiff. While the boat is running and turing the wheel the actuater only operates if you really jerk or spin the wheel hard. When operating the wheel it starts to move the spool in the actuater for a second then centers back up. I tried assisting the actuater while some one was turing the wheel and it was very stiff. The spool would shift but i could'nt hold it there.
My thought is the actuater but after searching this problem online it seems steering cable are almost always the culprit of stiff steering.

Thanks, Andy

amkmxz

Recruit
Re: 1995 4.3 alpha 1 steering problems

Also I disconnected the actuater from the outdrive and the outdrive moves freely.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It's usually where the cable goes through the aluminum tube, by the actuator...

amkmxz

Recruit

the cable move through the tube freely.

amkmxz

Recruit

should the spool move on the actuater back and forth easy.