bottles

mortaz

Cadet
Last edited by a moderator:

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: bottles

I like the idea,It was said on TV that last year the US had enough empty water bottles to go around the earth 190 times.Thats hard to believe! But don't you think at some point in time the bottles may leak and with a floor in place there's no way to check them:)

jonesg

Admiral

Stand the bottles vertical upside down, can't leak.
Soda bottles will take a lot more pressure than water bottles.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Each gallon bottle will displace 8.34 pounds (Gallon 8.345404 pounds and a Cubic foot 62.42796 pounds) so..... you cand add up your bottles.

Some iboats people have also used 2 part foam in conjunction with the bottles to hold them in place and take up the free spaces.

Bondo

Staff member

and I am trying to do the same
I do sealed the cops vary good using silicon

Nope,... Just screw the caps on,... They're made to hold pressure, No Problem...

mortaz

Cadet

Thanks for your replay, you make me cool

as you see in the attached the bottles are placed heads in the back in cease of any leaks. and as I mention the caps sealed by silicon
Other thing I used the oil bottles its chemical resisted bottles in cease of any fuel leak or any. And of any accident happened the bottles can hold loads more than foam

Thanks again

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I like the Oil Jugs,.... They're built Tough... Tougher than soda bottles maybe...
They fill the space available in your hull Nicely too...

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Lifewater or Vitamin Water bottles would probably work too, they are pretty thick plastic.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Each gallon bottle will displace 8.34 pounds (Gallon 8.345404 pounds and a Cubic foot 62.42796 pounds) so..... you cand add up your bottles.

Some iboats people have also used 2 part foam in conjunction with the bottles to hold them in place and take up the free spaces.

Bob that's good information to have. The amount of flotation to use is the hard part. But using that 8.34 figure with my boat, assuming approximately: hull 415 lb., motor 200 lb., gas & gear maybe a couple hundred, two people maybe 400 or more, I would need 146 gallon jugs. That would fill my whole boat! I know this has been gone over and over, and I'm not trying to open a can of worms, but it's a hard thing to really understand how much flotation one needs. I did read something about needing to consider the buoyancy provided by the water if swamped.

I guess the best solution is to add as much flotation as you possibly can, whether it's foam, bottles, noodles or what have you.

mortaz

Cadet

Hi again every one
First I like to thanks for all of you for your replies

A question came wail we was chatting
Way the boat manufacture companies used foam not other things like bottles,balloon or anything else

Thanks again

Bondo

Staff member

The amount of flotation to use is the hard part.

Ayuh,... Not really,...
Everything you listed as Weight, also provides a limited amount of Bouyancy, especially the People factor...
And,...
It's Not about being High,+ Dry,....
It's about having a hunk of something to sit/ hang on til Help comes...

I just carry Lots of extra PFDs in the barge.....
Dual purpose Floatation.....;)

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi! That was my project boat you linked to. Glad it could be a help to ya on yours! I just screwed the caps on tight by hand but im sure if you sealed the lids with silicon that should be double insurance...;)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have never cared for the "flotation bottle" design. Before you do this, take a bottle that you plan to use. Fill with air, screw on the cap then start submerging in the water. Notice at what depth it crushes. It does not take much depth, just a few feet to start to compress the bottles. The more the bottles compress, the less buoyancy they have, and the boat will sink more, causing the bottles to compress more, and it spirals down from there.

Make sure you are aware that the design you come up with will actually work.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never cared for the "flotation bottle" design. Before you do this, take a bottle that you plan to use. Fill with air, screw on the cap then start submerging in the water. Notice at what depth it crushes. It does not take much depth, just a few feet to start to compress the bottles. The more the bottles compress, the less buoyancy they have, and the boat will sink more, causing the bottles to compress more, and it spirals down from there.

I understand your argument, and I'm not trying to be a smart-ace, but if your bottles are a couple of feet below the surface, you are already pretty much screwed, are you not? As a couple of other posters have pointed out, you can't have enough buoyancy to save a catastophic hull breach anyway. If you are unsure of that, just refer to the various boats that do sink each year in freshwater around the country.

Having said that, I believe I would take the route of bottles combined with pour in foam. The bottles would reduce the amount of foam required drastically, while the foam would stabalize, add some buoyancy, and may even privide a seal on the caps of the bottles.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem I can see with bottles is that in event of a hull break the loose bottles float away. Unless sealed together in a solid mass it would not work. Foam however is not only a solid mass but it adheres to the hull.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hi again every one
First I like to thanks for all of you for your replies

A question came wail we was chatting
Way the boat manufacture companies used foam not other things like bottles,balloon or anything else

Thanks again

why do they use foam?....
because its crushproof provides structurable stability.
that way they can cut down on the expencive hull thickness and just add more foam.

also remember that if you use bottles.....they will rattle around under your floor !.

as far as using foam and bottles....
the reason for the bottles is so that you dont have to use foam to begin with, so the two togeather actually counter act the premise to begin with.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They will compress some, but think of it this way, even compressed to half their size, that bottle will still contain more trapped air or buoyancy than a chunk of foam of equal size, even not compressed. Then take into account that the foam may one day be water logged to some degree, the bottles seem the way to go.

One concern is longevity, especially with soda bottles as they don't hold up well in sunlight, but if sealed in the floor, the UV factor is eliminated. Just make sure they can't move around and rattle or chafe.

Those oil bottles seem ideal, but I'd stack them opposite each other so as to get as many in there as I could. A dab of glue or 5200 under each one and i between them would hold them in place for eternity.

A buddy uses bottles to float his pool cover, and to hold the edges down over the winter. Soda bottles do fine under the cover, but not around the outside, they last only a few months and crack, but I get him transmission fluid jugs that have lasted many years outside all winter. He's got nearly enough soda bottles to completely cover the surface of the pool, he tosses them in, slides the cover over, and puts a few sheets of carpeted plywood over the pool near the gate entrance just in case someone wanders up there and falls in. Those bottles held this winter under the 3+ foot of snow we got, the cover held, and the bottles kept it all afloat with no damage. I'm sure the pool froze but the bottles survived the winter in all that.

The one thing that bottles won't do is add to hull rigidity like foam does. Many boats use the foam filled lower areas to reinforce the outer fiberglass to some degree, loose bottles won't do that very well.
For this reason, I'd limit the use of bottles only to my aluminum boats, but pink insulation seems to be just as good a solution for those for me.
You could do bottles and foam, to both save on foam and retain some of the original structural support.

Bondo

Staff member

Just make sure they can't move around and rattle or chafe.

Ayuh,.... You Pack 'em in, install 'em, in the dead of Winter....
In the Heat of Summer, they'll expand even Tighter....;)