83 eninrude 25 throttle control

83evinruder

Recruit
Hi ya doin guys? My name is David and this is my first post!

I am a new boater and piced up a 14ft alumicraft boat with a 25hp evinrude.

I bought the boat in bad shape. It needed a complete floor and such! it sat outside with no cover for 5 years! In the northern Illinois winter that mean bye bye wood, hello rot!

Well I got Everything replaced and the engine runs good!

BUT!! there always is a BUT!!!

From being 28 years old the throttle lever is on its last legs( I'm not sure what its called, the that controls the fwd/reverse. It is a cockpit controlled boat with a steering wheel. This is not a hand controlled engine.

Ok well I need a new fwd/reverse lever.. the high idle didnt work so I had to take it apart and investigate..Well the plastic on the inside is just so wore out everything is breaking and cracking and just has so much play and sloppness to it that It NEEDS to be replaced..

Basically my question is where can I get a new one and how do I do the wiring for the ignition/electric start and the push key to choke options. Or do I order one engine specific? I found a few universal ones for pretty cheap online but will that work for me? Im at a loss here and I would really love to take my new(to me) boat out fishing! but I cant control anything without a new one of these things! btw its OMC brand..

Please excuse my ignorance I dont know much and I'm trying to learn..

PLease help!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 83 eninrude 25 throttle control

Hello and welcome to iboats.
Can you post your model number. It will help everyone with answering your questions.
I am assuming that you are referencing the controls end of things at the steering end ???

83evinruder

Recruit

Yes sir I am, on your right side when your sitting behind the wheel. Its the lever that controls the fwd/reverse and has the key on it..

Model number E25ELCNE
serial number E0079242

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

probably worn out cables. post picture of control, and shift lever.

83evinruder

Recruit

The high idle lever fell off when I was disassembling it. then I opened it up to see a few broken plastic pieces on the inside. Its not salvageable at all. unless they make new insides for it? I'll post up pictures when I get home tonight!