How to make my Force 125hp faster?

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Just with me and my girl friend and a half tank of fuel the boat will top out at 30mph, but it takes a really long time to get there.

Any body have any ideas whats going on? I played with the trim and it still does the same thing....Cannot really think of anything?

Carbs maybe dirty? I checked spark plugs and they are all firing and working properly..Would it hurt to go through the carbs to make sure none of the jets are clogged up or anything?

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to make my Force 125hp faster?

I would start by having a compression test done. Make sure the motor is running strong on all cylinders. They should all be running close to each other. My 1996 120 force compression is 125 on all cylinders.

NYBo

Admiral

Lots of variables here.

What boat are we talking about?

What is the tach reading at wide open throttle?

What prop size are you running and what is it's condition?

Is the hull clean?

Are you sure the power trim is working?

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

Its a 19ft bayliner.

I am not sure of the prop size it seems kinda small.

The boat does not have a tach.

The hull is clean as can be.

Yes the trim and tilt is working.

I will probaly do a compression test monday.

shytownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when doing your compression test, take note of your spark plugs, if you got a clean one and the others are dirty you may have lost spark to that cylinder or you got a leaky head gasket allowing water in the cylinder, both of these problems will cause performance to suffer

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

All the spark plugs look exactly the same.

I have spark on all 4 cylinders. I pulled each plug and checked, and I used a spark tester.

No ones thinking it could be the carbs?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Not the carbs.Do a comp test.Then if comp is good.Get a tach.Figure out wot
and max rpm.Post your results.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Want to make your boat go faster?----buy a Mercury! LOL

Seriously, 30 is a tad slow. First, as others have said, check the compression to eliniminate mecanical problems. Then, if compression is good, check to see that the carbs are opening all the way at full throttle--you may need to synchronize timing and throttle.

Finally check to be sure you are not overpropped. On a 19 foot bayliner, I would expect that engine to swing no larger than a 13 X 17 prop. Too much pitch (13 X 19 or 21) and acceleration will be poor while top speed may also be lower than expected.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

I will do a compression check tomorrow.

I have a Repair manual, for the carb timing do I need a timing light and everything?

or is it just syncing the carbs and stuff?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, you will want to at least borrow a timing light to check that timing advance is correct. As far as the rest, if it is a Clymers, it explains fairly well and no special tools are needed. The main thing to check is that throttle butterflies are opening fully at wide open throttle.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

Yes the butterflys in the carbs open up all the way like they should.

The boat starts up great, and idles great, but just doesnt get up and go like I think it should.

Could the timing still be off?

The flywheel does not have any marks on it, I looked this morning and I coudlnt see anything.