1989 Sea Ray Power Steering Slip

rlawrence26

Recruit
I'm trying to figure out why my 180BR Sea Ray with 135 Sea Ray (Mercury) outboard power steering doesn't turn when I turn the wheel slowly; but if I turn the wheel quickly, it turns fine. Can hold it in a straight line run, but am turning the wheel left constantly ever so slowly to hold it there.

After searching here, I'm sure it is the power steering fluid issue, as I see fluid slight leak at the cylinder on left side (looking back at the motor). But I cannot find ANY information online about how to address this. I cannot even find a book to tell me what I have in this boat. Is there a reservoir for the fluid? Where is this checked? I've looked under the helm/wheel and see how it works, but don't know if this is under pressure, where to check, etc. I wish I could find a manual on this subject, but exhaustive searches online find nothing. so questions:
Is this just a simple low fluid issue?
How do I check level?
Where?
Anyone know where to get a manual on this subject?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Sea Ray Power Steering Slip

Do you have hydraulic steering or cable steering? If hydraulic steering, that would be a place to start troubleshooting. It sounds like some of your issues are not power assist steering related.

rlawrence26

Recruit
Re: 1989 Sea Ray Power Steering Slip

Yes, hydraulic steering. But where can I find ANY information on this system installed in the 89 searay? I see two plugs on the helm end; one top and one bottom. I'm guessing i can take the top one off and pour in some seastar oil. but sure would like some confirmation from someone that is more knowledgeable than me.