Changed drive bellows and shift cable, no forward

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, as some of you may remember, I had some troubles with leaking drive bellows on my '73 888. I decided to do it right, and replaced the lower shift cable with the new style OEM mercruiser cable while I was at it. Got everything back together with basically no struggle, adjusted the cable and and got it to shift w/o engine running, but now im a bit worried I either put something together wrong, or I blew the drive today.

I had it running on the muffs today, it fired right up, but due to carb issues, it had a high idle ( around 2000 RPM ). While I was playing with the adjustment screws, my buddy mentioned a squeeking sound like a belt coming from the drive. I shut it down, and restarted it. Then we both noticed a knocking sound coming from the drive. It sounded similar to a diesel engine, but it definitely was NOT the motor. It just sounded "rough" i guess. Then before I could even shut it down, its almost like the drive stalled the engine. I never even tried to restart it after that.

First things first, I played with the shift cable, and now regardless of how much I play with the adjustment, I can get reverse and neutral, but forward just clicks when I spin the prop. When I pull on the shift shaft on the lower unit, it will catch forward, but if I spin the prop the other way and turn it back, it will just click and keep spinning. Its like it wants to engage, but doesnt quite go enough. When the shifter is in forward, the shift shaft is straight just like it should be.

We took the cable off from where it mounts to the engine and worked it by hand, and still could only get reverse and neutral. Also in reverse the prop wont spin one direction, and spins very tough the other way. I seem to remember it would spin free before in that direction.

So I drained the lower unit oil, and it drained clean. But aside from that I dont know what to check, or what to do. This boat is taking me for just about all I have.

Any opinions? I'm thinking on pulling the drive and making sure the cable is on good. But for some reason I think its worse. Although everything worked before I took it apart...

Thanks!!!

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Changed drive bellows and shift cable, no forward

with drive in forward prop will turn clockwise with a ratchet sound and should lock counter clock wise.
as far as noise??? was oil high enough in unit?? I think I would remove top cover and inspect gears
Wayne

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

DSCN0042.jpg

DSCN0044.jpg

Pictures say it all I think. I'm pulling the drive, and then making sure the engine didnt bend a rod or something in the abrupt stop when the gears went. If that is the case, this boat is going to the big lake in the sky. What a bummer.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

That looks like it was a bit low on oil.You should have drained about a quart and a half

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A drive locking up and killing the engine will not bend rods. Most that will happen is you damage the coupler.
New drives from SEI can be had new with 3 year warranty for around 1500 bucks here at iboats.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well thats some good news at least. Oil was just drained/refilled before I ran it. Followed proper procedure, filling from the bottom to the vent hole. I would have to guess the shift cable was out of adjustment slightly even though it seemed OK. I'm 22, its my first boat, and I've learned everything the hard way so far. But for all I know it was something that was on its way out for awhile. Who knows, its 37 years old and had 2200 hours on it.

Few more quick questions. The gear ratio is determined by the upper gear case correct? Which is unfortunate since im tripping over 470 drives on craigslist. Also would you feel comfortable in just replacing the upper half or do you think the damage carried further?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

Mercs usually vary the gear ratios in the uppers.So did omc. Im sucessfully running a 400 series uppper on on 800 series unit (gear ratio is not right but I compinsated with props)
also unit doesn't owe me anything.
Looking at your unit try to pick up a used upper on Iboats ,craigs list dump etc.
Lower shouldn't have suffered much because sharpnel probably didn't travel through oil.
While its apart install a new impeller.
Fill oil until it comes out vent screw in upper.
Wayne

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

if your still not sure oil is high enough remove top cover...you should see oil right up to screw hole
Wayne

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

P.S. my 400 series unit cost me a case of beer (Canadian beer so it wasn't cheap) so shop around.
Wayne