Sudden systems shutdown!

Plan3

Cadet
Will excessive time boosting a second battery with cables cause an abrupt shutdown of motor? I often boost my second battery for a few minutes with cables and the engine running. The other day, I did it continuously for about 40 minutes while trolling. Suddenly the motor shutdown withou no alarm sounding. I immediately removed cables and tried re-starting. No response at all. I checked the fuse box. No problems there. I could turn the motor over at the cellunoid, but with no signs of ignition. I had started making calls for help, when I tried once more, and the motor started and ran without problems.
My question? Was the shutdown caused by charging the second battery?

Thanks for your attention!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sudden systems shutdown!

Hey Plan3, I moved this over to Boat Topics. The other section is more for places and trip planning as opposed to Boat issues. May belong in electronics, but sounds a little more general to me. Good luck!!

Plan3

Cadet

Thanks for re-directing my query. As of this date, however, I see no response. Is it that my query is not considered serious? For me, it is important to know what is happening, or might be happeningl

Plan3

bhammer

Ensign

Sorry you do not have any responses yet. What are the details of your engine? Year, make model, carbed/mpi and the likes.

I wouldn't think that a second battery would casue any issues in the manner you are talking about. But, I am far from certain on that. It is JMHO.

On another note, I think running a battery down and then rapid charging, is hard on a battery, You take the risk of getting the battery too hot as well.

jelli

Seaman

yup sounds to me like battery got to hot is its any thing like a car be carfull doing what u described iv hered of peaple fryinin ther cpu in cars doing that

Plan3

Cadet

Thanks bhammer and jelli. I believe the advice from both of you is useful and will act accordingly when addressing the re-charging of my secondary battery!

Plan3:)

Not sure if this is possible but... The charging circuit usually uses a small rectifying circuit to change rotating AC into charging DC voltage hence the reticfier. In this little baby ther's generally either 4 or 6 diodes and possibly a power resistor sometimes called an SCR or a very fast switching device.
Anyways to make a long story shorter... these electronic switches don't like to be "Juiced up" kinda like the other post reply about frying your cpu. with high amps.

I'd recommend a battery transfer switch or...run #1 battery on odd days and #2 on even days. if this onamoly reoccurs then there are other possiblities, for one the charging circuit may be charging constantly and overheating an element. or the batteries could be at the end of thier life cycle.

Because the system fired back up after a wait period it sure indicated that something is drawing excessive amps/heat opens... cools down... then good to go. Now all ya gotta do is find it. Good luck

Plan3

Cadet

River's Revenge: Thanks for the input. It sounds like good advice,and I plan to go with alternating batteries till I install a switch battery device.

Plan3