Lightweight Flywheel / Solid Engine Mounts

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone have an opinion, good or bad, on the use of a light-weight flywheel on a stock 2.5 200 EFI? and opinions on solid engine mounts?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Lightweight Flywheel

Anyone have an opinion, good or bad, on the use of a light-weight flywheel on a stock 2.5 200 EFI?

It'll increase your speed by lightening your wallet.:D

And that's about all it'll do. Unless you're talking about extreme acceleration, like hopped up to 9000 rpm drag or roundy round racing, there is no measurable effect. At sustained high rpm (over 7500), a lightened and ballanced flywheel can take a little stress off the top main.

hope it helps
John

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What about the solid motor mounts.. where's a good place to purchase them?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The least expensive way to lighten a flywheel on a 200 is to drop down to a 16 amp flywheel. Of course you sacrafice battery charging capabilities but it will make a little difference in your hole shot and does make for less wear on the upper main.

I could tell the difference going from a 16 to a 40 on my 150 but I got over it real quick the first time my batteries recharged after a run across the lake.

Ahhhh the old addage is thus true.. For every performance gain there is and equal and opposite sacrafice. Most often it's in your wallet.

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lightweight Flywheel / Solid Engine Mounts

?????

sschefer

Rear Admiral

What, you don't understand logic... Solid engine mounts are great for performance applications. Try the buy and sell forum over at www.screamandfly.com Bruster has them for a very reasonable price.

There are a few 40 amp lightened flywheels around but most of them are going to be 16 amp. Not a whole lot of sense in lightening up a 40 when a 16 is already half way there and the only reason to do it is in a racing application. I think Diamond Marine has them.

Dukedog

Captain

Anyone have an opinion, good or bad, on the use of a light-weight flywheel on a stock 2.5 200 EFI? and opinions on solid engine mounts?

Unless your buildin' a real "stem winder" motor for a lite boat its not a good investment. Its just not necessary on a sub 7 grand, stock motor heights and gearcase motor. Its really only useful with big rpm extreme prop surfacing motors. JMO....................

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The question marks were because when I checked the post, half was missing..

I'm not going to spend that kinda money on a lightened flywheel for a bass rig. I need the charging ability. Just wasn't sure how lightened flywheels were built and the associated disadvantages.

I will be installing the solid motor mounts, since I have the engine torn down. I can tell the rubber mounts are flexing alot under high speed conditions.

Hey Faztbullet, do you have solid mounts in stock? if so, send me a quote and I may add it to my order..

Thanks Guys..