Old Fart Pride

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm passing this on as I did not want to be the only old fart receiving it.

Actually, it's not a bad thing to be called, as you will see. Old Farts are easy to spot at sporting events; during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner. Old Farts remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.

Old Farts remember World War II, Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal , Normandy and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War , the Jet Age and the Moon Landing. They remember the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam .

If you bump into an Old Fart on the sidewalk he will apologize. If you pass an Old Fart on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady. Old Farts trust strangers and are courtly to women.

Old Farts hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.

Old Farts get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like any filth or dirty language on TV or in movies.

Old Farts have moral courage and personal integrity. They seldom brag unless it's about their children or grandchildren.

It's the Old Farts who know our great country is protected, not by politician's, but by the young men and women in the military serving their country.

This country needs Old Farts with their work ethic, sense of responsibility, pride in their country and decent values.

We need them now more than ever.

Thank God for Old Farts!

Pass this on to all the Old Farts you know.

I was taught to respect my elders. It's just getting harder to find them.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Old Fart Pride

Good one.

Born in 58. I'm proud to say I'll be using the virtues my parents
and grandparents instilled in me when I was young for the rest
of my life.:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just wish they'd get out of the d@mn way! :p

(just kidding JB)

tashasdaddy

i have 2 old farts as neighbors, 83, and 85. stories they tell are fantastic.

skargo

Banned

i have 2 old farts as neighbors, 83, and 85. stories they tell are fantastic.
Amen to that. I have some old neighbors and can listen to them for days!
I used to visit the Old Soldier's home in Baltimore when I was younger. I'd spend all day with those wise older guys. Some great stories for sure!

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm passing this on as I did not want to be the only old fart receiving it.

Actually, it's not a bad thing to be called, as you will see. Old Farts are easy to spot at sporting events; during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner. Old Farts remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.

Old Farts remember World War II, Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal , Normandy and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War , the Jet Age and the Moon Landing. They remember the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam .

If you bump into an Old Fart on the sidewalk he will apologize. If you pass an Old Fart on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady. Old Farts trust strangers and are courtly to women.

Old Farts hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.

Old Farts get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like any filth or dirty language on TV or in movies.

Old Farts have moral courage and personal integrity. They seldom brag unless it's about their children or grandchildren.

It's the Old Farts who know our great country is protected, not by politician's, but by the young men and women in the military serving their country.

This country needs Old Farts with their work ethic, sense of responsibility, pride in their country and decent values.

We need them now more than ever.

Thank God for Old Farts!

Pass this on to all the Old Farts you know.

I was taught to respect my elders. It's just getting harder to find them.

You know me? jk I'm not in my 80s yet, but some days it sure feels like it. You are right, listening to my father (he served in the Phillipens, Navy) when he was still with us sure does make life a little bit easier to tolerate today. We really don"t have it all that bad. I served in the USMC 69-73.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Haha, from the thread title, I thought this was going to be about the pride, us old timers take in our....never mind, gotta go see if the Mrs will pull my finger :redface:;)

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good One JB. I was raised by Old Farts and I too carry their beliefs and morals.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

If we got out of the way, you'd have to break trail, and I doubt yer up to it.:D
If we got out of the way, "they" would still be on the trail, then
we would be the one's "breaking trail".:eek::eek::eek:

Are WE up to it???

What did you just get us into????:eek:
Oh Boy, where are my heart pills?:D

mphy98

Lieutenant

I can also sum it up in one word. RESPECT!!! The younger crowd seems to have none of it for us or our traditions that we hold sacred. Respect and moral values mad this country great. The lack of it seems to have us on a decline. I had so hoped the next generation would be like the 50's generation and have moral values and respect again. Sadly I don't see it yet. :(

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think respect and integrity in humanity runs the expanse of generations, it just takes a certain type of individual to uphold those qualities. I know plenty of rude, intolerable, and classless elderly people just the same as I know tons of courteous, respectful, and morally conscious young people. The saying 'kids these days' has literally been around since ancient roman times. People have behaved the same for thousands of years; the only thing that changes is another?s perception of them.

skargo

Banned

I think respect and integrity in humanity runs the expanse of generations, it just takes a certain type of individual to uphold those qualities. I know plenty of rude, intolerable, and classless elderly people just the same as I know tons of courteous, respectful, and morally conscious young people. The saying 'kids these days' has literally been around since ancient roman times. People have behaved the same for thousands of years; the only thing that changes is another?s perception of them.

Great post. The old people whining about getting no respect from younger generations typically don't give respect to ANYONE ;)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Goes back even beyond the Romans...
There are some problems with the crediting of a couple of these ( Peter the Hermit's seems remarkably close to the one attributed to "Plato or Socrates"):D
But they all have been around for long time.

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint... As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
Attributed to Peter the Hermit, AD 1274

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
Plato, 4th Century BC

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for girls, they areforward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behaviour and dress."
Plato, or Socrates - 4th century BC

"When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint".
Hesiod, 8th century BC

"We live in a decaying age. Young people no longer respect
their parents. They are rude and impatient. They frequently
inhabit taverns and have no self control."

Inscription, 6000 year-old Egyptian tomb1

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

And - our handshake is as good as a written contract; but more binding,

JB

This thread is not a complaint about our children and grandchildren.

It's while learning who they are that some of them annoy us. It is up to us to provide the model. When the chips are down they make me proud.

Our values, our liberty and our freedom are in good hands.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I thought about passing this on, but then decided, nah. The old fart friends I have, don't need to be told what they're about.