6 month old premium gas

hempfarmer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everyone,

I just see I had a full container of premium gas mixed with two stoke oil. It has been sitting for 6 months, do you figure it is safe to use?

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 6 month old premium gas

Hi everyone,

I just see I had a full container of premium gas mixed with two stoke oil. It has been sitting for 6 months, do you figure it is safe to use?

Was it E-10 gas? Even so if the cap was on tight and the vent closed it's probablly fine. Pour some into clear container and let it sit for an hour. If theirs water it will settle to the bottom and be visible. If there's no water then add a little Stabil to it and run it.

turbinedoctor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Startron and Stabil wont revive old fuel, it just help prevent it from getting old. Use it when you buy the gas and put it into the gas can. I double up on Stabil and use premium gas.

j_martin

Admiral

Gasoline (without ethanol) degrades in 2 ways. If the container isn't pressure tight, some of the volatile top will evaporate off. Also, the same components that were cracked from longer chain molecules in the refinement will over time recombine and form long chains, which form gums and varnishes. Stabil and some other fuel additives help limit that considerably.

If you plan to not use fuel for a month or so, it is good to add stabil. With stabil in a tight can or drum and out of the sun it'll keep a year or more.

hope it helps
John