I got hosed

MCL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a glastron sierra 199 last winter,it was cheap but the seller told it had cracked both manifolds and block.The new manifolds were welded and crack was fixed with epoxy.The epoxy seal and welding wasnt leaking and oil didnt turn white so I thought it would be ok.I tore the intake manifold off today and it has two 1 inch cracks in the lifter valley on both sides.It hasnt leaked much as the oil is still nice.Is there anyway to fix this?

A new 4.3 costs about 15000 here and 10000 for a remanufactured one.A remanufactured engine 4.3 costs 2 grand at ocean east marine.Shipment costs+tax im looking at 3.My cheapest option is to seek a auto 4.3 engine and convert it marine.

Any insight what I should do as im a bit clueless at the moment.Also the mercruiser sticker on the engine states that it is left hand rotated,are the auto engines also left handed or will they spin in the wrong direction?

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: I got hosed

If the cracks go all the way up through the block/head deck, you're probably screwed. Would likely be cheaper to source a used block, swap all the internals and freshen it up.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

The new manifolds were welded?
....that translates to this: someone welded up some junk cracked manifolds.

4.3's commonly freeze crank in the intake valley. Should have pressure tested the cooling system.

A new 4.3 costs about 15000 here and 10000 for a remanufactured one.....
...where is this? That's just a touch on the insanely high side.

My cheapest option is to seek a auto 4.3 engine and convert it marine.
.....it has to be of the same vintage (you need to post your boat specific year and make models of drive, the boat it is in is not of any help). Late 4.3's don't have a fuel pump boss for one thing.
......a used car engine is a poor choice. Camshaft will be all wrong, and a used automotive engine will usually be too tired to stand up to the really hard use a marine engine gets. Free plugs would need changed to brass and everything from old engine (fuel, ignition system, etc) needs to be put on replacement.

MCL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The engine is a 262 2bbl with thunderbolt ignition and manual fuel pump.The engine was just rebuilt with new heads and manifolds.With the engine being fwc cooled why do I need brass plugs.I have a new circulation pump that I was going to put on this engine.Otherwise I was thinking about swapping the heads and cam to the auto engine.Is the crank&pistons same on both?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

First of all, if it is FWC how did engine freeze? Filled with water?

And I am still not clear on how it has new welded manifolds....

A lot of this just does not add up.

You still did not post any relavant information on your engine (year, serial number)
so it's impossible to really say if you have a balance shaft/non balance shaft engine, etc.

Since you are FWC (had no way of knowing till you posted that) no need to swap core plugs, and an automotive circulation pump will be fine. Unless you plan to use water as the engine coolant, then back to the above.

MCL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The engine has been raw water cooled,or is still.I have a new san juan kit waiting to be installed.The engine was rebuilt and new manifolds&risers were installed.The owners ran into some money issues and left the boat to freeze.The new manifolds were welded and the outer crack on the block was repaired with epoxy.Then I bought the boat.The engine still starts&runs fine and the oil doesnt get white,the leaks in the lifter valley are very small.

I dont have the engine number,will get it tomorrow.Sorry for my bad english,hope you understand.

83evinrude.Thanks for the link.I actually found rapidomarin site an hour ago and its my best bet.Im waiting for a shipping quote for a longblock.I will probably reuse the manifolds,risers and intake manifold.I dont have the lift to pull/align a motor,but I can do all the other work myself

10000e(13000?) for a reman engine from brunswick marine in Finland,better believe it.Thanks everyone who helped.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

it was cheap but the seller told it had cracked both manifolds and block.
I don't see how you were "hosed" The Seller told you it had cracked manifolds and block... Caveat Emptor.......:rolleyes:

I would do what was suggested below......

Regards,

Rick

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

before i spent that sort of money i would think seriously about driving to the uk and picking a donor speedboat with all ancillaries ok or break in spares your vessel and get yourself another boat.for ?10,000 or ?11500 you will get a couple of year old boat and probably immaculate.obviously living in finland ,winterising in october to april is a definite must for removing all water entirely or pay the consequences .-30 degrees is regular and the slightest drop of water is frozen in minutes.how old is your boat anyway?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

A new 4.3 costs about 15000 here and 10000 for a remanufactured one.
where are you?, here:
saturn_small.jpg

could buy a brand new one and ship it around the entire earth 4 times for $10K

Bondo

Staff member

The engine still starts&runs fine and the oil doesnt get white,the leaks in the lifter valley are very small.

Ayuh,... I'd just Run 'er til she Pukes....

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What I've come to find out after doing a lot of reading here, is there are no such things as a "cheap" boat. If it's to good to be true, IT IS. Good Luck, sure you make the right decision.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you should tell everyone you are in Finland. You just may get answers of where to find an engine that is better for you than from the US.

MCL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im going to order a new block with heads from rapidomarin,it will cost around 1300 dollars+tax and shipping.Brunswick marine(official mercruiser importer) for a complete reman engine is over 10000e,better believe it.Its about what the boat is worth over here.the boat is a glastron sierra 199(6m daycruiser)

I got hosed because the intake manifold gasket were new,probably took it off,noticed the cracks and decided to sell it.The seller only told me about the crack on the outside.I should have pressure tested the system but since the oil didnt turn white I didnt do it.Otherwise the boat is in excellent shape for its age(1990).

I spoke to the folks at the marina and they want 40e to lift and put the new engine in as long as I do the rest of the work.Do I need to remove the gimbal/drive to remove the engine?Also the engine was aligned and the gimbal bearing was changed by a shop before I bought it,can I remove the engine without altering any adjustments?I can probably sell the heads for 600e save on costs.

I dont think I can get a engine cheaper than in the states.Boating is very big here(we have the largest archipelago in the world),I found a water damaged rustseized engine for 800e for sale.Just to give you a estimate of prices here.

Can anyone tell me what all I need if I order a newer 4.3 vortex(93-96) longblock besides manifold,4bbl carb and fuel pump.Will the ignition swap out(thunderbolt).Also is there any other benefit than more power and higher fuel consumption.The boat will go about 40knots with this hp.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do I need to remove the gimbal/drive to remove the engine?
Can I remove the engine without altering any adjustments?
Can anyone tell me what all I need if I order a newer 4.3 vortex(93-96) longblock besides manifold,4bbl carb and fuel pump.
Will the ignition swap out(thunderbolt).

Yes, you will need to remove the outdrive before pulling the engine.
No, you will have to align after replacing the engine.
All of your accessories will swap over, just make sure you purchase an engine of the same vintage. Otherwise you will need more parts and euro's.

MCL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there anyway to tell if I have the pre 86 or the 87-93 4.3?Is there alot of diffeence between them?

T-Bone Coug

Seaman Apprentice

Post the serial number of the engine and the guys will tell you model year.

MCL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well,I ended up ordering the 93-97 vortec longblock and all the parts for the 4bbl conversion+new osco manifolds.All in all this whole deal will cost about 2500?.

Sorry dont have the engine number.The boat is not stolen if thats what you are implying.All boats are registered here so I know its history.The boat is docked in the marina 50km away and I havent had the time to check it out.

Will start working on swapping the engine in june.I will post back then.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry dont have the engine number.The boat is not stolen if thats what you are implying.

That is not what he was implying. The problem is, you never gave any information about year or anything. Since Mercruiser goes by SN, not year, that is why we ask for a serial number. Then we can ID what engine exactly you have.