Mooring cover???

mfg_mike

Cadet
So the boat I purchased has all the original canvas for the bow, rear, and side vinyl windows, except for the top frame and canvas.

I purchased a one piece boat cover for mooring.

Does this work good? What other alternatives might I have?

I called a local vendor who quoted me $600-$800 to make a custom top to fit
to the other original pieces but I am just not willing to spend that at this time.

So, will this one piece cover work while the boat is moored to keep out the rain? It is "water repellent".

Thanks

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mooring cover???

how is the cover you purchase secured to the boat? the snap on cover you see in the first pic is my old one. the new one i had made using sunbrella cost me $600.

0807091858.jpg

0831091410.jpg

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

getting it tied down while in the water is going to be your biggest problem

doesn't matter if its water proof or not if you dint have it tented so water will run off instead of puddling

i have seen covers fill and rip once they start to puddle water. they keep filling till something gives

price sound about right for custom cover

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

getting it tied down while in the water is going to be your biggest problem
doesn't matter if its water proof or not if you dint have it tented so water will run off instead of puddling
i have seen covers fill and rip once they start to puddle water. they keep filling till something gives

price sound about right for custom cover

+1 (kinda)

I use this type cover. Mine is secure enough not to need tying down (up to at least 30 mph wind). I do occasionally 1/2 fill 20 oz soda bottles (or the like) and tie them to the "anchor points".

The cover is a PAIN to install from the inside of the boat (practice on dry land several times first), but it really doesn't take more than 5 min. to do (just a pain in the hot sun, being under it while installing). BUY the pole set up (it takes some practice to figure out the best placement for them).

mfg_mike

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I have a small dilemma.

The marina I am docking at for the summer requires me to have a cover or automatic bilge pump. I prefer the cover for obvious reasons.

So, since the original bimini top frame and canvas are gone, an aftermarket top will not fit to the rear cover, side windows and front bow cover to keep the boat sealed. So my next preferred option is a one piece cover, but I do agree it will be a giant hassle to try and cover the boat while in the water. Not to mention the cover I just purchased online doesnt even fit the boat! Arrgh!

To those of you that leave your boats in the water, what do you do?

Is my next best option to use the auto bilge pump?

CATransplant

Admiral

Cover or no cover, you should still have the automatic bilge pump. If someone happened to open your cover to peek into your boat in hopes of finding something worth stealing, followed by a big thunderstorm, you'll need that automatic bilge pump to get the water out.

Ron-O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's the cover I had made for mine this year.. The last cover was made by the same lady and lasted 8 years.. The cover was still ralaxing in these pics. Fits nice and tight now..
normal_DSCN3377.JPG

normal_DSCN3376.JPG

mfg_mike

Cadet

Very nice Ron. What was the price range to have that made?

Ron-O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very nice Ron. What was the price range to have that made?

The cover was $800.. but the lady came to my house, did all the measuring, then came back to fit it and add the snaps. It included 3 vents and poles.