prop hub?

npauls

Seaman Apprentice
Could anyone on here tell me how to identify if a prop will fit my motor? I was at my local marine shop the other day and noticed an 8 pitch prop sitting in the used section and the guy told me that there is no chance it will fit my motor without even looking at it. He never really talks about his used gear is always trying to sell new stuff or order in brand new stuff to sell people. I know I need an 8 pitch but I don't know if the hub on this prop will fit my motor or not. I also know that I need a 13 spline hub and 12" diameter on the prop. If I go in there know these 3 things and the prop and hub match these 3 numbers will it fit my motor or is there more to it then that. I have a 1999 mercury 40hp 4 stroke none big foot version. I just figured that if it does fit my boat then maybe I can talk the owner into letting me test the prop this weekend to see how it works before ordering the one I want off of here.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Nate

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: prop hub?

Could anyone on here tell me how to identify if a prop will fit my motor? I was at my local marine shop the other day and noticed an 8 pitch prop sitting in the used section and the guy told me that there is no chance it will fit my motor without even looking at it. He never really talks about his used gear is always trying to sell new stuff or order in brand new stuff to sell people. I know I need an 8 pitch but I don't know if the hub on this prop will fit my motor or not. I also know that I need a 13 spline hub and 12" diameter on the prop. If I go in there know these 3 things and the prop and hub match these 3 numbers will it fit my motor or is there more to it then that. I have a 1999 mercury 40hp 4 stroke none big foot version. I just figured that if it does fit my boat then maybe I can talk the owner into letting me test the prop this weekend to see how it works before ordering the one I want off of here.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Nate

Howdy.. How do you know that you need an 8" pitch prop? What type of boat is that motor going on? Unless it's a 24ft pontoon then 8" pitch is going to be too low.

Also the prop may not have the correct hub for your motor. If you can post the part number of the prop someone will be able to tell you for sure if it will fit or not.

Cheers

npauls

Seaman Apprentice

I have asked around on here and other websites and everyone keeps going back to an 8 pitch for my set up. My boat is underpowered and has quite a bit of weight and it is just a patch until I can afford to put more power on the boat. Right now my motor is way to low on the rpm's so I have to go with a 4 blade 8 pitch 12" diameter prop. There is one on sale here on iboats but I would like to make sure it is for sure going to work out for me before dropping the $100 to buy it. I will get the numbers off of the prop tomorrow at lunch and post them on here tomorrow when I get home from work.

Nate

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Just read your other thread, seems you have already got some great input on the prop selection.

As for hubs, if its a 13 spline merc like yours then yes it should fit. That is an unusual pitch for your motor though so best to confirm with the prop shop owner it will fit your prop shaft.

The members on here that recomended your prop have my utmost respect and I'd feel confident that they have chosen you the right prop. Take a look at the history on some of these prop threads and you'll see they have helped many people chose the right prop for their boat.

Personally I don't think you will be happy until you get more horsepower on that boat but the 8p should help somewhat.