86 Johnson 90HP, water pump question.

spingley

Seaman
Well today I decided today was the day to replace the water pump impeller, I got the directions from this forum and it made everything easy, the only thing was as soon as we pulled the lower unit off I saw a 3/4" or so o-ring fall on the ground, I tried to figure out where it came from but am not sure. It looks like it could fit on top of the drive shaft just below the splines but I am hesitant to put this thing back together until I am sure. Anyone got any ideas?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 86 Johnson 90HP, water pump question.

Are you sure it is a o-ring? It may be the shift rod grommet #55 in this pic.

Attachments

• Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 0

spingley

Seaman

No it is not the grommet, but what about #73, is that an o-ring?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Yep #73 - O-ring - drive shaft to crank case.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Probably goes in the groove under the splines in item #39 of that drawing.

spingley

Seaman

I got the impeller replaced and afterwards ran the engine on muffs, the telltale was stronger than before and after shutting off the engine and water I felt the heads and regulator/rectifier and they were not hot. However I noticed a gray looking foamy type stuff coming from the prop exhaust, like frothed up oil/water. I pulled the bottom plug on the lower unit and only fresh oil came out. Anyone got any ideas what I did wrong?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

No ,you didnt do anything wrong.Its common for oily residue to come out of the prop.its the exhust .Your engine being 2 cycle burns oil with the gas and that is the nature of the beast.

spingley

Seaman

No ,you didnt do anything wrong.Its common for oily residue to come out of the prop.its the exhust .Your engine being 2 cycle burns oil with the gas and that is the nature of the beast.

Yesss, I was hoping nothing was wrong, I pulled that lower unit off twice and did not want to have to do it again!